GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,822 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Mirfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
So I am very slowly working my way through SHCD - by which I mean I set about the first case in April, and have just completed case 2. I'm loving the game, its a masterpiece - but I fear I am terrible at it!

I play by myself, Case 1 I got -30 and Case 2 I got -40.

I'm assuming thats very much below average?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre C
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nope. The worst would be those of us (looking in the mirror) that own the game (binder edition I bought from a used book store in my teens) and have yet to play it for fear of proving that we are the worst detective. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:
So I am very slowly working my way through SHCD ....but I fear I am terrible at it!

In my experience, that's not very much below average! However, Case 2 was the one that my wife and I did the best in (a score of like +60 or something). The negative sign has not at all been, shall we say, "uncommon" in our other cases. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Mirfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
amacleod wrote:
PeterM2158 wrote:
So I am very slowly working my way through SHCD ....but I fear I am terrible at it!

In my experience, that's not very much below average! However, Case 2 was the one that my wife and I did the best in (a score of like +60 or something). The negative sign has not at all been, shall we say, "uncommon" in our other cases. whistle

Good to know - thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mb
You'll soon learn to skip the ludicrous scoring mechanism, and just have fun being a Detective!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
You'll soon learn to skip the ludicrous scoring mechanism, and just have fun being a Detective!

I always score because that is "what you're suppose to do" but you are right that it really can be skipped. I'm through seven cases and very rarely hit the positive score. I have a great time with it though and that's what counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Yang
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of those games where you can totally ignore scoring and just enjoy the story and the process to solving the mystery. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:

If you want to beat Sherlock, you need to skip so much fabulous story pieces that you paid all that money for! Our family play for around 3+ hours per case and just soak up the story - trying to get a decent score would ruin it.

And anyway, everyone knows that Sherlock cheats! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ABCDEFGHIJK MNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:
So I am very slowly working my way through SHCD - by which I mean I set about the first case in April, and have just completed case 2. I'm loving the game, its a masterpiece - but I fear I am terrible at it!

I can't tell you. It would be a spoiler. laugh

You don't need CSI proof, just a personal conviction. In the original, you got points for solving side mysteries; I don't know about the Ystari version. I'd suggest you write down your score when you think you know who did it, but keep playing. That way your score is comparable to the game goal, but you still get to play out the whole story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really bother with the score anymore. I run down every lead I can think of, and gather as much information as possible (like an actual investigation). The Holmes that is presented in the game would be a pretty crappy detective, since he passes on obvious leads on what basically amount to hunches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The goal is to solve the case, the score does not really matter if you do not solve it. So assuming you have solved it, then the score provides a way to compare with the impossible ideal of Sherlock and others. Over time you hope to get better scores as you become a better detective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Mirfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone.

Just so you all know my focus is definitely on the story and theme, thats what I'm all about. But it is nice to do some scoring at the end just to see how you've done roughly.

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My score for case #1 was 85.

Well, negative 85, but, who's counting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mould
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We got -60 on case one, but beat Sherlock on case 2. I think we have a claim as the most inconsistent detectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris H
msg tools
When we finished case 1 with 18 leads compared to Holmes' 4 we thought our score would be awful. But once we subtracted the freebies the difference was 12 for -60 then +140 for getting all questions correct. We were rather pleased/surprised we scored +80

Holmes' solution (no spoilers) more or less jumps right to the suspect without eliminating others. We did waste a few leads on dead ends but felt we had a better story experience and were 100% confident our suspect had the motive, means and opportunity to commit the crime.

Bring on case 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ABCDEFGHIJK MNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
P_Pigly_Hogswine wrote:
When we finished case 1 with 18 leads compared to Holmes' 4 we thought our score would be awful. But once we subtracted the freebies the difference was 12 for -60 then +140 for getting all questions correct. We were rather pleased/surprised we scored +80

Holmes' solution (no spoilers) more or less jumps right to the suspect without eliminating others. We did waste a few leads on dead ends but felt we had a better story experience and were 100% confident our suspect had the motive, means and opportunity to commit the crime.

Bring on case 2

Excellent score!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.