I'm the Boss!» Forums » Reviews

Subject: I'm The Boss is...Boss! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: I'm_the_Boss [+] [View All]
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmb
I'm the Boss! is an economic, deal making game for 3-6 players. In it, players represent wealthy investor clans who are required to take part in the deals to get them done. This happens through negotiation, and card play.

The person whose turn it is, is the current boss. They have the option of trying to get the current deal done, if it hasn't already happened, roll the die to move the marker around the board to get to the next deal, or take three cards.

If they take option one, or two then they attempt to get the clans indicated on the space to come together in agreement. What they are trying to come to terms on is how to divide the money that the deal will bring them. If they take the cards, then their turn ends and passes to the next player.

What complicates the deal making process is card play. Some cards allow players to represent the same clans as other players. This means two or more people can compete for their place in the deal. Some cards allow players to outright take clan representation away from others. Some cards boot players out of a deal. The "I'm the Boss" card wrests control of the deal from the current boss, and gives it to the one who just played it. Finally, "stop" cards countermand any of the aforementioned cards from taking effect. Any player can play any of these cards at any time while the deal is being negotiated.

The result of all this negotiation coupled with card play is pure chaos! And this is what will determine whether you'll like the game or not. If you like to plan your strategy, execute it, and watch it come to fruition, then you won't like "I'm the Boss". If you like random things happening that you have very little, if any control over. If you get a kick out of the unexpected, then you'll probably enjoy this game quite a bit.

I like this game! I laughed throughout as the wackiness unfolded around me. Unfortunately, for some that same wackiness was tedious, and annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.