8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » England

Subject: Fellow Geeks in the Hazel Grove/Stockport area... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Raistrick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Not long been living in the area, and getting a bit sick of spending all of my days off lurking around the house. Are there any groups/people in this area?

I've seen some mention of groups further afield, and while all the people seem really nice, they are either a bit too far, or a little too specific...

Though at this point I am really ready to consider anything, especially since my love of Board games is relatively new.

Thanks in advance for any info/help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hague
United Kingdom
Todmorden
West Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Stephen,

There are two groups in Stockport that I'm aware of. There is the Variable Magers who I believe meet at a Con Club on a weds night, there is also another group but I can't remember their details I'm afraid.

We do get a couple of folk cone over from the Magers to Diced Tea (in Oldham this Saturday if you fancy) if you drive it'll only be 20-30 mins down the motorway.

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Stephen,

You maybe interested in the Manchester Boardgamers group, which meet in Romiley Stockport (hence the name)

It originated about 30 years ago as a board wargaming club, but it is quite normal that some euros are played. The only problem is that the average age is 94 and there are not many of us - about 6-9 will turn up. We really could do with some new blood.

We meet 1st and 3rd Saturday at Romiley Scout Hut from about 12:00 onwards and have the facilities until 18:00.

If you want more info, drop me a message

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Benson
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ixphotos wrote:
There is the Variable Magers who I believe meet at a Con Club on a weds night

We meet at Heaton Mersey Conservative Club on a Tuesday night at 7:30. More details are on our guild page Variable Magers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hague
United Kingdom
Todmorden
West Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iain_benson wrote:

We meet at Heaton Mersey Conservative Club on a Tuesday night at 7:30. More details are on our guild page Variable Magers

I got some of it right. I was tempted to say the Heaton Moor con club!

David, do you guys play any COIN games over in Romiley? Saturdays are annoying as thats Diced Tea but if it falls on an off week I could be tempted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
David, do you guys play any COIN games over in Romiley? Saturdays are annoying as thats Diced Tea but if it falls on an off week I could be tempted.

We have played at one time or another all of the COIN games. Sorry if I'm being thick, but what is 'Diced Tea'

It really is a bit random what may get played. Unless you have pre-arranged something we tend to spend the first half hours trying to agree what to play. Although as a rule of thumb, if in doubt, Britannia gets played, although I avoid this game like the plague.

Last meeting I played AH's Breakout Normandy, followed by some Euro game, whcih I can't remember. Two other were playing 'Soldiers' an old SPI World War One Wargame, and four others were playing Britannia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hague
United Kingdom
Todmorden
West Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diced Tea is the group we run in Oldham

I picked up Falling Sky the othe week , but it's not our usual fayre.

Do you have a guild on here that tracks your plans etc? I'm not into modern warfare particularly, with some exceptions. But I am quite loaded up on CC Ancients.

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ixphotos wrote:
Do you have a guild on here that tracks your plans etc?
Matt

No we're not that organised. I expect to be going this Saturday, and whilst I'll take some wargames and Euros with me, I have no idea what I may end up playing - a lot depends on who turns up. I may end up playing one wargame all afternoon, or several Euros

The only thing we are organised about is an annual action in March (which we list on BGG). We sell about 400 lots and take 10% of the sale for the club. This more or less pays our rent as membership is £4 for the year - yes that's right £4 for the year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.