Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike M
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a carnivore has pack hunting with body size 2 and population 2, can it attack a species with horns and body size of 3? This came up in our game and we said no, because the horns would have brought population down first, which then means it would have been 3 vs 3, and a carnivore needs to have greater body size.

On a related note, if a species has symbiosis and the species to its right has hard shell, does the hard shell help protect the symbiotic species? we said no to this also, since hard shell only increases body size if you are attacked, so it wouldn't figure into the equation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Backlash27 wrote:
If a carnivore has pack hunting with body size 2 and population 2, can it attack a species with horns and body size of 3? This came up in our game and we said no, because the horns would have brought population down first, which then means it would have been 3 vs 3, and a carnivore needs to have greater body size.
I believe you played it incorrectly. The population loss due to Horns is a consequence of the attack, which would only apply after the attack has already taken place. The determination of whether an attack can take place must necessarily happen before the attack.

I believe (though I can't dig it up at the moment) that there was a question a while ago about "what happens if a Pop 1 Carnivore attacks a species with Horns?" I don't remember the part about whether the carnivore actually received Meat Food before going extinct, but I do remember that the attack happened successfully.

Backlash27 wrote:
On a related note, if a species has symbiosis and the species to its right has hard shell, does the hard shell help protect the symbiotic species? we said no to this also, since hard shell only increases body size if you are attacked, so it wouldn't figure into the equation.
You were correct on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I did see that other thread, where it was determined that the carnivore would go extinct before getting the meat. Ouch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Goldman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The order of operations is:
1)the attack happens
2)Population loss happens (from the attack and horns)
3)Food gets taken (for the carnivore/scavengers/cooperation)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.