Subject: 6th Player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chet C.
United States
Los Angeles
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've been wanting to play Evolution for a long time now, but still haven't gotten the chance. Finally tonight I decided to pull the trigger and buy it online, but then stumbled across Evolution: The Beginning, which would probably work better for my group. The only problem is that there are 6 of us.

What's to keep this game from including a 6th player? Also, I have read that it's best with 2 players, so would a 6th player even be fun?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

(P.S. Anyone know a good way to get a copy in Shanghai?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
In theory, it could work if you added a 6th bag and something to represent more food tokens. However, the game would end very quickly since the end game trigger is based on the draw deck running out and everyone getting an additional turn after you finish the current round. So the experience would be very diluted IMO with each player getting very few turns before the game ends. I personally would not recommend for 6. But the price point is low enough that you could probably buy 2 copies and combine half the cards from the second set for an uber session. I'd be curious to see what Dominic thinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Beginning is most strategic as a 2-player game. The more players you add to the mix, the less control you have over your own fate and the more downtime you have between turns.

We tested it with 6 players on multiple occasions. There is a little too much down time for my taste. If everyone is paying attention, then it's not too big a deal. You'll just need prompt the next player when you're done with your turn if they've gotten into a conversation. You'll also want to shuffle the deck and go through it a second time. That should add an extra round or two, which is exactly right. Or better yet, just play for 5 rounds. It'll take an hour instead of 40 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
domcrap wrote:
The Beginning is most strategic as a 2-player game. The more players you add to the mix, the less control you have over your own fate and the more downtime you have between turns.

We tested it with 6 players on multiple occasions. There is a little too much down time for my taste. If everyone is paying attention, then it's not too big a deal. You'll just need prompt the next player when you're done with your turn if they've gotten into a conversation. You'll also want to shuffle the deck and go through it a second time. That should add an extra round or two, which is exactly right. Or better yet, just play for 5 rounds. It'll take an hour instead of 40 minutes.

Dominick if you wanted to have the game being a little longer go through the deck a second time anyway? I'm not saying it's not fine the way it is but it would be cool if it played a little longer sometimes. Maybe because I enjoy it so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
We considered that. It's a bit too long for 2-player games but it works nicely for a 5-player game. We considered making it the rule for 4 or 5-player games, but whenever possible, I prefer to create rules that work at all player counts. It's annoying to have to refer to the rules for variable setups or variable end conditions based upon the number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
domcrap wrote:
We considered that. It's a bit too long for 2-player games but it works nicely for a 5-player game. We considered making it the rule for 4 or 5-player games, but whenever possible, I prefer to create rules that work at all player counts. It's annoying to have to refer to the rules for variable setups or variable end conditions based upon the number of players.

Thanks I think I'm going to adopt that rule. Once through for 2-3 and twice through for 4-5 players. It's easy enough to remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chet C.
United States
Los Angeles
flag msg tools
mbmb
domcrap wrote:
(...) You'll also want to shuffle the deck and go through it a second time. That should add an extra round or two, which is exactly right. Or better yet, just play for 5 rounds. It'll take an hour instead of 40 minutes.

Thanks for your response, Dominic. Those sound like elegant and effective solutions. My most frequent game group (the 6 that meet roughly weekly) has two with analysis paralysis, so we tend to ignore the game time written on the box anyway. Lucky, it's a casual group of married couples from Church, so we meet up AND play rather than meeting up TO play, or else the play times would be very frustrating.

Because I live in Shanghai and cannot find E:tB, and also because I have a second group of more advanced gamers that meets up once or twice a month, I'm considering purchasing the core Evolution set and the Flight explansion. If I go this route, in order to also play with my casual group, could the play experience of E:tB be recreated by modifying the composition of the core deck and using the E:tB rules?

Does Target have exclusive rights globally or only in the US?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheddarific wrote:
...If I go this route, in order to also play with my casual group, could the play experience of E:tB be recreated by modifying the composition of the core deck and using the E:tB rules?

Not really possible. The text on every card except Climbing and Carnivore has been changed.

Cheddarific wrote:
Does Target have exclusive rights globally or only in the US?

Only in the US, and only until the end of 2016.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.