Subject: Single-Player Card Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: cards [+] solitaire [+] [View All]
Stasey Norstrom
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there. My name is Stasey Norstrom and I am a Co-Founder of Daedalus Game Design Group (www.daedalusgames.com).

I am putting a question out there into the BGG aether, hoping to garner some feedback and a (hopeful) variety of answers. I found myself at my day job (a night job, really and, at times, a very boring one to boot), wishing I had a small card single-player card game that i could play in-between job duties (i.e. answering the phone).

Looking around, I have been unable to find a single-player card game that does not have a bazillion counters and/or a large map with tons of crap. I am looking for portable, smallish in size, something that I could literally shove into my pocket and go (akin to the original concept behind Magic: TG).

So, my question is this: does anyone know of any single-player games as I described above and, if so, what they are?

This is a year of planning and development here at Daedalus, and I think that this is a type of game that just might have to be on the design board very soon.

Thanks to all.

Cheers.

-Stasey N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cook
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These print and play games are pretty good. I prefer Island of D, but both are good. Doesn't take much room, easy to transport, and best of all....free.

Island Of D
Island Of D 2: The Shadow of Dawn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gudjon Torfi Sigurdsson
Iceland
Isafjordur
Isafjardarbaer
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being the smartass that I am; can I suggest a game of solitaire with a standard deck of cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Soloquest or royal assassin solitaire are interesting one player card games that can be played with a regular deck of cards, do not require a lot of space, and are easy to learn. They also don't involve the usual building cards of on top of each other like almost every other solitaire game. There is an actual strategy to these games. Here is the link for Royal Assassin.

http://airship.home.mchsi.com/assassin.htm

I don't know where you can find the rules to soloquest But the creator sent me a copy a while ago and I can send it to you if you like.

-Legend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris White
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played it (so I have no idea if it's any good), but Al Cabohne would seem to fit your criteria perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Dramowicz
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Ebbe & Flut from Adlung?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
Late reply

Bowling Solitaire plays with part of a standard deck. Quite enjoyable. Best score is 300. Er, the best score is 300. My best score is less than half that. Scoring is identical to lane bowling.

Chrononauts can be played solo.

Lab Rats is a piecepack game, but there's no reason you couldn't play it as a card game. You'd need A through 5 in three suits for the "coins" and 24 other cards to use their backs as the maze. Since you want it small area, don't randomly determine your maze; make a loop racetrack and try to finish the loop.
meeple

Finally, go here:

http://www.angelfire.com/games2/warpspawn/SOLO.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stasey Norstrom
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! THank you for the resources. This will help me greatly while our new single-player card game, Solo, is being developed.

-Stasey
www.daedalusgames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Pocket Civ. It's a free print & play designed to be playable on a airplane. To play the base game, all you need is the rules, a deck of 16 cards, paper and pencil. You can also print out advancement cards, tiles & counters, but those are optional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry to bump an old thread. I mentioned a game called royal assassin solitaire in this thread and I've had an itch to play lately, but have forgotten most the rules. The old link to the rules seems to be dead now. Anyone have a copy of the rules or know where I could find them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same interest in the rules to Royal assassin. Where might that be found?

Regarding the OP, what about Onirim? I don't particularly like it, but it seems to fit the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlike LSU LSU, I really like Onirim, and think it's one of the best, fastest, most portable games in my collection. All cards and no counters or other bits.

Lee Valentine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wright
United Kingdom
Falmouth
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or...

The Isle of Doctor Necreaux
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Tran
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm rather interested in the royal assassin solitaire game. Would I be able to find the rules to these games anywhere these days?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is over four times as old as my son.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Full S
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sylencia wrote:
I'm rather interested in the royal assassin solitaire game. Would I be able to find the rules to these games anywhere these days?
(I can't seem to make the link post properly, but run the url given for it earlier in the thread through the wayback machine at archive.org) I haven't read through them yet, and some of the images are broken, but that's what archive.org has.

Also, Onirim and Death Angel are great, but Death Angel has a few counters, a die, and takes up a lot of table space.

haslo wrote:
This thread is over four times as old as my son.
I checked the date before replying earlier and didn't, but since other people are replying... eh, the thread lives again! The OP might not need it, but I've found a new game I hadn't previously encountered thanks to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sylencia wrote:

Yep. All of you who are following this thread who want the game, I do have them. My query is how to easily get them to you all, as there's not a game page for this game.

I can go with the "Geekmail Me Your Email Address" version. Or I could upload it to one of those file storage sites, but I'm not too savvy on the free ones, so if one of you has a suggestion I can try that out.

I am okay with the "Geekmail Me Your Email Address" version. It's not like there are 500 or 50 of you (or even 5 for that matter). Mostly happy to share the game with the community.

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I contacted the author a few years ago and had a few things clarified too which I can contribute if desired. (I too also have the rules).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs Smith
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
This is my chance to convey something meaningful! Darn. Wasted it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend the print 'n' play game Zombie in my Pocket. It's quick and fun, I play it heaps! And yes, it literally fits in your pocket!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
I contacted the author a few years ago and had a few things clarified too which I can contribute if desired. (I too also have the rules).

I'd be interested in what kind of clarifications that you got from the author.

Quote:
Or I could upload it to one of those file storage sites, but I'm not too savvy on the free ones, so if one of you has a suggestion I can try that out.

I usually use mediafire for file sharing and storage. It's free and easy. www.mediafire.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Coppedge
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
finbikkifin wrote:
Sylencia wrote:
(I can't seem to make the link post properly, but run the url given for it earlier in the thread through the wayback machine at archive.org) I haven't read through them yet, and some of the images are broken, but that's what archive.org has.

http://web.archive.org/web/20081007044837/airship.home.mchsi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.