Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

The second edition of The Scheldt Campaign is now available from Hollandspiele, a new small-press outfit run by Mary and Tom Russell, formerly of Tiny Battle Publishing.

Website has just gone live today: https://hollandspiele.com/

And there is a Facebook group for you to like too: https://www.facebook.com/Hollandspiele

My Scheldt game is just the first offering from this company; others will follow in September and October: a Grunwald medieval battle game, a solitaire strategy game on Roman rule of Britain, and my favourite - an "opaque and challenging" multiplayer game on the Opium Wars and the opening of China, with design and art by Cole Wehrle, designer of Pax Pamir.

Hollandspiele's production model is print-on-demand with services by Blue Panther. Folks may recall that a couple of my games that came out through Schutze Games - Pusan Perimeter and Somalia Interventions - were given the boxed treatment by Blue Panther too. Once they get an order they send it over to Blue Panther, who produces it and sends it away. They will also offer print-and-play versions of all games through Wargame Vault, at bout half the MSRP (the link isn't quite set up yet).

Lots more on their methods and philosophy at the company blog: https://hollandspiele.com/blogs/hollandazed-thoughts-ideas-a...
I don't mind that they refer to me as a "prolific Canadian wunderkind", don't mind at all.

So anyway, Scheldt Campaign 2nd edition is available for orders: price will be $40 US for the first few weeks, and then go up to $45. Price does not include shipping: I just put in a fake order to my home in British Columbia, and it was $13 US, so shipping within the US should be reasonable. But they admit it will be crazy-expensive to overseas addresses, and would like to hear possible solutions or from potential partners for that.

https://hollandspiele.com/products/the-scheldt-campaign

Oh, and they take Paypal.

Thanks for your interest everyone!

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be nice to see these in the UK. Hope Hollandspiele manage to find a distributor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice van Valen
Netherlands
Breda
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, so I put my money where my big mouth was and ordered a copy laugh.

I'm excited to get this one, the images on the publishers' site look good! Thick counters with nice colours and that map! Shame I can't see the whole map yet, but mr. Kudryashov is indeed talented.

For those who want to know what they are getting into, cost-wise: $40,- for the game and $21,- shipping to The Netherlands, about €56,- in total. This is not unlike a game ordered from other US based operations.

The only thing I fear now, is getting hit with a customs charge. I have had two packages sent from the US the last 12 months, and both got hit with a VAT + 'service fee' bill. For a €55,- package (VAT is also charged on the shipping costs) that amounted to approx. €25,- additional... Shipping and VAT charges doubled my cost for a game, that does not stimulate spending money

If Hollandspiele can find a EU partner to send games from, that would save both shipping and VAT/Import costs. I got a game from GMT sent from the UK, that went under the radar of the customs service. That was quite nice and I hope they will do that with my pending orders as well..

Anyway, I could have ordered the PNP, but what the heck: all-in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your order Maurice!

They may yet find a European/UK distributor.

It's early yet.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Oliver
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Map is here - impressive looking...

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/3135801/scheldt-campaign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Larose
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered for delivery to Montréal, 13$ shipping. cool

I don't know if I mentioned it to you or not Brian, but I have a game project on this campaign in my drawer for 10 years.

I started with a company scale project covering Breskens and the peninsula. It became a more ambitious regiment/bde scale project covering Sept 4 until November 8, including Arnhem.

I tried using John Schettler's Tide of Fortune system as a base (the system was not very robust, the map and OOB were pretty bad) then I settled upon the Breakout: Normandy system and it was promising, but too big.

I struggled a lot with the space/time parameters to come up with a playable game, 3 months campaign is long.

So when I put my hands on the 1st edition of this one I stopped working on my project :-)

So far I could not find issues with the OOB! whistle

Very good news to see this one getting a nice treatment.

Thank you Brian.
B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
“Nature uses as little as possible of anything.” ― Johannes Kepler
mbmbmbmbmb
Purchased. I have been wanting to try this since reading the PnP review by
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb

Greatly looking forward to its arrival!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Talley
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I ordered as well. $10 shipping in the USA for those who are curious. The publisher has several other interesting titles in the works so I'm hoping the quality is satisfactory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Salut Benoit,

No, I did not know you had been working on this campaign.
Apparently it was one possible game that SPI was considering doing using their Victory in the West system (Sicily: The Race for Messina, Patton's 3rd Army: The Lorraine Campaign, Operation Grenade) and I did some trial work with that system in the beginning, but the combat system was too coarse.
I wanted to use something that showed the whittling away of units, and something that would also force hard choices on the players, so I used the Staff Card system, which I had used in Third Lebanon War (original version of The Next War in Lebanon before DG's mangling) and working with Joe Miranda on BCT Command: Kandahar.
Hence the markers, which some people find anathema, but if they don't like it then they can go and play Battle of the Scheldt: The Devil's Moat... go ahead, just try to play it.
But I also wanted something that was not too big: I'm more or less limited to 17x22 and a sheet of counters.

The OOB in this campaign is pretty settled at the regiment and brigade level; I left the German improvised "scratch" battalions more or less random.

Yes, Severus' review of this game is very glowing (and very fair, I must add!).

I have a couple of boxed games by Blue Panther as I said above; these were early efforts from 5-10 years ago and the stuff he does now is pretty good.

Thanks for the good wishes everyone.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Talley
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Is there a pdf of the rules for this anywhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice van Valen
Netherlands
Breda
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
I wanted to use something that showed the whittling away of units ...
Hence the markers, which some people find anathema

Looking for a similar effect for my game about 1PAD. I was hoping to go for a block wargame to show gradual wear of units, but that seems somewhat difficult to implement for my current design. Perhaps I can steal from be inspired by a better craftsman's experience...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
De Bawa wrote:
ltmurnau wrote:
I wanted to use something that showed the whittling away of units ...
Hence the markers, which some people find anathema

Looking for a similar effect for my game about 1PAD. I was hoping to go for a block wargame to show gradual wear of units, but that seems somewhat difficult to implement for my current design. Perhaps I can steal from be inspired by a better craftsman's experience...

There's also the method I used in Blood in the Alma and my Blood Before Richmond games-- stacking generic "step counters" beneath an "ID counter". (But that only really works if there's a stacking limit of one unit per hex.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scud80 wrote:

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered! Good luck Brian!
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered. I hadn't even heard of this one before now, but hard to go wrong with Brian Train, and it looks terrific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Herrmann and Mike!

As I wrote somewhere else, this was the first game ever done specifically to cover the Scheldt Campaign - the first edition came out in 2012.
There are lots of Northwest Europe wargames but the Scheldt is usually just this muddy spot in the corner of the map that the Allied player has to sweep through - if there are any Scheldt rules at all.

Maurice, I took inspiration from Joe Miranda, you can certainly take it from me.
Just be sure to give credit where it's due!

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Larose
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting you tried VITW... I did try it too and it did not work for me neither, not enough granularity in the CRT.

The OOB is settled I agree but I can't count how many games have the entry dates wrong for some units and how sketchy the German OOB is sometimes.

Anyway I am looking to play this new edition.

B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only $40?!? I can't remember the last time I saw a new game for that price. It wouldn't matter if it was more, this purchase will happen as soon as I'm home on my secure network. I loved Bulge 20, one of the most interesting and unique games I've ever played.

Is there or will there be a vassal module for this? One of my gaming regrets is never having a chance to play with the Bulge 20 expansion cards, which aren't in the Vassal module, for lack of FtF opponents. But I aim to rectify that soon.

I'm not buying many games these days, but this I've been wanting for a long time, so I'm very excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your order!

There is a Vassal module for this game, has been for a while, but the module maker
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Breakout Normandy, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
is going to redo the module with the new, second edition artwork.

The Bulge 20 system is remarkably flexible; I've used it in another game of mine, Third Lebanon War (https://brtrain.wordpress.com/2014/08/10/next-war-in-lebanon...).

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice van Valen
Netherlands
Breda
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tomrussell wrote:
There's also the method I used in Blood in the Alma and my Blood Before Richmond games-- stacking generic "step counters" beneath an "ID counter". (But that only really works if there's a stacking limit of one unit per hex.)
Hi Tom, thanks for the advice! I will look into it. I've been playing a bit with blocks on the board as 'ID counters' for formations and company tokens/chits in a space beside the board corresponding to the ID. Either step-counters like you mention, or loss counters as Brian used in his game (if I understand it correctly) might be the way to go.

ltmurnau wrote:
Maurice, I took inspiration from Joe Miranda, you can certainly take it from me.
Just be sure to give credit where it's due!
Yes, I will. I'm very much pre-alpha design wise, so no idea how long this will take or what form it will have. Let's say it's a hobby project in otherwise busy times
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - I got my shipping notice today! That was fast - I thought this game would take at least a month to actually get out. Very nice - thanks!

Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice van Valen
Netherlands
Breda
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my message as well, now to see how long it will be before it arrives over here. Exciting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
j3rm wrote:
scud80 wrote:

+1

Any word if/when the rules will be available for viewing?

Thank in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
j3rm wrote:
j3rm wrote:
scud80 wrote:

+1

Any word if/when the rules will be available for viewing?

Thank in advance.

This is our delay. Sorry about that. I had bronchitis, then Mary got it, so we've lost track of things a bit. I just uploaded the file, hopefully it will be approved soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tomrussell wrote:

This is our delay. Sorry about that. I had bronchitis, then Mary got it, so we've lost track of things a bit. I just uploaded the file, hopefully it will be approved soon.

Thanks for the update on the rules posting, Tom... I hope you both are feeling better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.