Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Gerardy
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to clarify how combat works when attacking units being transported.

From what I understand, there are 4 types of vehicles. Trucks, open top, armoured troop carrier and other non open tops (tanks)

When small arms firing at:

truck or infantry in truck by small arms
- half FP vs truck defense
- half FP vs 5 defense for unit being transported

Armoured troop carriers:
- half FP vs 5 defense + 1

Open top
- half FP vs 5 defense - 1

Tanks

Is this correct ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Logan
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pete_g wrote:
Just want to clarify how combat works when attacking units being transported.

From what I understand, there are 4 types of vehicles. Trucks, open top, armoured troop carrier and other non open tops (tanks)

When small arms firing at:

truck or infantry in truck by small arms
- half FP vs truck defense
- half FP vs 5 defense for unit being transported

Armoured troop carriers:
- half FP vs 5 defense + 1

Open top

Tanks

Is this correct ?

Hi Pete,

First you have to choose what the target of your attack is. The vehicle or the transported unit.

If the target of the attack is the passenger, a modifier is simply added to the unit's Defense, Firepower is not halved.
Normally the unit is considered exposed, whether riding on a tank or in a truck and receives a -1 to its Defense. The exception is an armoured transport where a +1 is added to the unit's Defense.

Example, my German Rifle squad attacks a Russian Rifle squad riding on a tank. German FP of 4 attacking Russian Defense of 4 ( -1 exposed ) = 3
Attack on +1 column.

The vehicle itself is not affected by the attack on the passenger.

Firepower is only halved when firing at a truck or an exposed crew with small arms.

Say I'm firing at a truck with my Rifle squad. My FP of 4 is halved to 2, and the Trucks Defense is 1. So I attack on the +1 column of the VCT.

Attacking an exposed crew in an open topped vehicle, say a Marder. The crew is given an inherent Defense of 5. So my FP is again halved to a 2, attacking the crew's Defnse of 5. The attack is carried out on the -3 column of the ICT.

Cannot attack tanks themselves with small arms, though some weapons can be used at 1/2 FP on them in adjacent hexes.

Geez kind of a long answer.

Basically:

Attack passengers with full FP. Passenger unit Defense and ( -1 exposed ) or ( +1 armored transport )

Attack trucks with small arms, 1/2 FP and truck Defense of 1 on VCT.

Attack exposed crews with small arms. 1/2 FP - Crew Defense of 5 on ICT.
And remember vehicle crews cannot take casualties, only morale effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Logan
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And if the target is the vehicle, the passengers can be affected by Collateral Damage.

Simply, if transporting vehicle is hit but not destroyed, passenger attacked on -5 column ICT.

If vehicle destroyed, passenger subjected to attack on the -4 column ICT.

Vehicle not hit, no Collateral damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Gerardy
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamm22 wrote:

Basically:

Attack passengers with full FP. Passenger unit Defense and ( -1 exposed ) or ( +1 armored transport )

Attack trucks with small arms, 1/2 FP and truck Defense of 1 on VCT.

Attack exposed crews with small arms. 1/2 FP - Crew Defense of 5 on ICT.
And remember vehicle crews cannot take casualties, only morale effects.

Edit : When you say exposed crew...do you mean a actual Crew unit? If so never mind the rest of my questions, it all makes sense.

What confuses me is the attack exposed crews with small arms is half FP. Why does shooting a unit riding a tank only get a -1 defense? Aren't they considered exposed, therefore half FP vs defense -1?

What is the difference between a passenger (full FP) and a exposed crew (half FP)? When does a unit being transported considered exposed crews? Is this only applicable when riding in trucks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Pacitto
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pretty sure that "crew" is the crew of the open top vehicle, like the Marder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Gerardy
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. It all makes sense now. I was thinking exposed crew was the same as "unit being transported", but the rules were contradicting each other.

This raises one question. Are crewed units placed during setup or are they only placed on a crew survival roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Pacitto
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you mean "crew" unit like the crew of an AFV, I think they are abstract in they are part of the open top AFV and combat effects on them are used to
reflect the morale status of the open top vehicle. I don't think you see a crew counter unless their AFV is destroyed and they survive the die roll and them they are placed on the map.

Hope this is what you were asking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.