Subject: Dice Drafting variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ezra McNichols
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Hey all.

CoB is one of my wife's and my favorite games. We tried a twist on it this past weekend that I thought I'd share.

Instead of each player having individual dice, we collected all the dice into a common pool and rolled them all (we actually replaced them with non-player-colored dice). We then drafted the dice before playing. We were doing 2P, so we just did 1-2-1, with start player getting first pick but second player getting 2 in a row. Didn't seem to be hugely in favor of either player.

We were inspired by a few games - the one that comes to mind at the moment is La Granja. We really liked it!

Not sure how we'd implement it if we did more than 2P.

What do ya'll think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Horvath
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea, I'll have to try it out next time the wife and I play. Just to clarify, the dice drafting order goes 1-2-1 but each player still performed their actions with the 2 die all at once in turn order, correct? (i.e. die drafting is separate from performing actions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Brown
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I think I want to try it. Losing by getting bad rolls is not much fun. Maybe another option is to have each player roll 3 dice, and use only 2. Or even roll 2 per player plus one extra.

It will bring out a bit more strategy and eliminate a touch of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezra McNichols
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Yep. Drafting phase first, 1-2-1, then action phase, 2-2. I was concerned that it might make start player too powerful, but I don't think it did.

Purely anecdotal, but I had start player the entire game, ships were an easy region for me to complete and I got a lot of goods to sell, and I still lost. YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yisu Wang
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mb
Good idea, however, I think the fun part of the orginal game is to deal with unpredictable rolls. For more players with your variants, the first player might always get the roll he/she wants, the game might turn into a worker placement game. And many develop tiles that change dice rolls might become less powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
shadowjump wrote:
Losing by getting bad rolls is not much fun. Maybe another option is to have each player roll 3 dice, and use only 2. Or even roll 2 per player plus one extra.

It will bring out a bit more strategy and eliminate a touch of luck.

In general you will lose due to poor play/planning far more often than due to bad rolls using original rules. While the variant is interesting, the game as is offers already plenty of strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.