Popular Tags: [View All]
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmb
The thing is, if the NSA has the tools capable of hacking into these devices, then other players could have these exploits as well. Engineered in parallel of the NSA.

I would almost rather the tools released, and allow the vendors to patch closed these secret exploits the NSA has kept secret from those vendors, than let them stay open and risk exploits to remain in the shadows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
I'm not sure they're secret. The vendors might very well have given them to the NSA intentionally.

I doubt these vendors would release products with built in exploits, and trust that the NSA would be the only player able to use them.

If they did, which is a distinct possibility, that is a dumb thing to do on their part. Especially when they sell products globally. It would be a contract nightmare for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
This is what we get when the best code crunchers in America are out in Silicon Valley debugging the latest iteration of World of Warcraft and Grand Theft Auto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
This is what we get when the best code crunchers in America are out in Silicon Valley debugging the latest iteration of World of Warcraft and Grand Theft Auto.
You pay peanuts and the humans will work elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

NSA is a glory job, like working for NASA. They attract talent, only for the reason that their employees get to play spy games. It's true though that the pay is pretty weak...well, unless you calculate in the retirement package. Federal pensions are nothing to laugh at.

I interviewed for them after college. Didn't want to live in D.C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I doubt these vendors would release products with built in exploits, and trust that the NSA would be the only player able to use them.

On the off chance you are:
http://www.computerworlduk.com/security/7-security-backdoors...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Let's just say, the bigger issue with this story, is that if they can prove that these tools were intentionally left open for the NSA, then it's game over for the global corporations that are Cisco, Juniper, and Fortinet.

Seriously. When your whole job is to sell security firewalls(around the world), and are selling doorways to government agencies.

Game over. You're through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

NSA is a glory job, like working for NASA. They attract talent, only for the reason that their employees get to play spy games. It's true though that the pay is pretty weak...well, unless you calculate in the retirement package. Federal pensions are nothing to laugh at.

I interviewed for them after college. Didn't want to live in D.C.

That's the other problem - pay is mediocre, but on top of that you have to live in an area of the country with some seriously SHOCKING real estate prices. Nevermind the godawful traffic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.