Subject: RIYL Feature rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could be missing this, but is there a "Recommended if You Like" feature? Or a "Related Games" feature?

I'm not sure how you would populate such a thing, but it would be awfully helpful to those of us just starting a collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There used to be a section on the game page called Recommendations which I think was auto-generated based on what other games the game owners had in common.

Normally you would expect theme or mechanics to link games but there are other reasons why people have similar collections, such as game company or designer. So while it could be useful, it also was often quite funny when a recommendation had virtually nothing in common with the displayed game.

(If you want to see what it looked like, pick a game, put the URL into the Way Back Machine and try a date from 2010.)

So auto-generating may not be the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:
So auto-generating may not be the way to go.

No, I imagine it would have to be user generated somehow. Like you said, too many ways to connect games that may not actually "feel" similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Die drei ??? und der geheimnisvolle
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
There's a "similarly rated" feature on the ratings tab, but I haven't really used it, so I have no idea how useful it is. Doesn't explicitly find similar games, but may incidentally do the trick in cases of niche appeal (e.g. people who rate Bob's Train Game highly also tend to rate Bill's Train Game highly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
The old thing is still there, though it's unsupported and I don't know if it really functions.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/Artorig/recommendations

Edit: I don't know if it does, really, because it shows up the same result for me regardless of user name. Maybe it takes data from the person logged in, I don't know (I only have one account, so I can't compare). Mine says "Can't Stop" in first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, had no idea that existed. And yeah, it must be for whoever is logged in. I have not rated my games yet, so I have no results in that screen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:
There used to be a section on the game page called Recommendations which I think was auto-generated based on what other games the game owners had in common.

That did previously exist as described here

/wiki/page/Game_Recommendation_Algorithm

and that page also describes a user-supplied suggestion system that preceded it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Edit: I don't know if it does, really, because it shows up the same result for me regardless of user name. Maybe it takes data from the person logged in, I don't know (I only have one account, so I can't compare). Mine says "Can't Stop" in first place.

And if the final one on your first page matches mine as "Merchants of the Middle Ages" then I would quickly doubt the rest of the list varies for us, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Die drei ??? und der geheimnisvolle
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
My list is definitely different. It excludes any games I've rated (hence no Can't Stop) and includes a mix of Euros, wargames and economic games, apparently based on other games I've rated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:

/wiki/page/Game_Recommendation_Algorithm

and that page also describes a user-supplied suggestion system that preceded it.

Huh. Interesting, thanks. I imagine the user-based system would be the most interesting and useful. Especially with an upvote/downvote system. Even if it's not on all games. Humans have better insight than algorithms.

But they retired both methods? Hmm. Bummer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.