Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If we had the ability to remove our own images, would you explicitly check for images worth retiring?

Let's assume you get to "keep the thumbs" even though you remove the image.

Let's also assume you have to nominate a substitute image to be displayed wherever your image used to be displayed in a thread or geeklist.
(EDIT: ie nominate an existing image. Being able to upload a replacement image is a separate challenge.)

I know I have a couple of images I would retire.

(Edit: So I vote "yes" and give the thread a thumbs up. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Yes, there a few that I'd remove.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At first my reaction was, "oh yeah, some need to go". Just look at some of them.

But then after thinking about it, I don't think I would. Most of them are early pictures and I think it's great to see how my pictures have changed and evolved over time. To get rid of the bad ones would be like erasing part of a voyage.

Sometimes it is good to look back at where you started so you can enjoy the here and now even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mossman
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question.

I actually had thought about this - and determined that there are a few I might be inclined to retire. In addition, as one's photo skills improve (and the more images I take for use here, the more discriminating I have become), this kind of feature would allow you to "redo" some of your older images without having them rejected as "too similar" if the older image is no longer there. Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
jgrundy wrote:
If we had the ability to remove our own images, would you explicitly check for images worth retiring?
Yes

jgrundy wrote:
Let's assume you get to "keep the thumbs" even though you remove the image.
Not an issue for me, I don't think any of my images that I would consider deleting have garnished many thumbs. Perhaps a thumb envy microbadge is required

jgrundy wrote:
Let's also assume you have to nominate a substitute image to be displayed wherever your image used to be displayed in a thread or geeklist.
Not so sure about this part, that could be tantamount to changing the content on other people's lists. I would suggest that a deleted image be replaced by the representative image (which is the default if you choose not to specify an image). It would be nice if the owner of any GeekList using that image were GeekMailed to notify them that the image has been replaced so that they could check to see if they wish to choose a new image for their list, although the expression icing on the cake does spring to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Estes
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As IronMoss said, I'd like to be able to delete a couple of them just to have the opportunity to re-do. I have a better camera now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
You can ask to replace files with newer / better versions (which seems to result in losing the thumbs and a new file ID), something similar should be possible with images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
This could be done, but I think the possibility database corruption keeps me from doing it. (wiki, aritcles, geeklists referencing those images).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
This could be done, but I think the possibility database corruption keeps me from doing it. (wiki, aritcles, geeklists referencing those images).

I can understand that problem. Whenever I ask a file to be replaced, I have to change all links to refer to new version manually. Wouldn't it be possible for the new, improved version to have the same ID (both in images and files)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor McNish
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. And then I'd post them back, and earn gg again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
gmcnish wrote:
Yes. And then I'd post them back, and earn gg again!
I hadn't noticed that devil streak in you before Gregor cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
Aldie wrote:

I can understand that problem. Whenever I ask a file to be replaced, I have to change all links to refer to new version manually. Wouldn't it be possible for the new, improved version to have the same ID (both in images and files)?
This works for uploading a new better version of something.

What would be needed would be a translation layer. Behind the scenes, change the underlying table name and create a view over it with the same name as the original table. Then you can manipulate the view so that any fetch that asked for image 123 actually returned image 456 if 123 had been removed.

Karlsen wrote:
jgrundy wrote:
Not so sure about this part, that could be tantamount to changing the content on other people's lists. I would suggest that a deleted image be replaced by the representative image (which is the default if you choose not to specify an image).
Problem is I almost always explictly select images for relevance to my geeklist discussion at the time. I'd rather someone made an attempt to replace it with a sensible facsimile than go back to the representative image, which is usually now just the box shot.

Karlsen wrote:
It would be nice if the owner of any GeekList using that image were GeekMailed to notify them that the image has been replaced so that they could check to see if they wish to choose a new image for their list, although the expression icing on the cake does spring to mind.
That'd be nice, but harder to search out than you might imagine. (If you could do that, you could also just replace all those references instead of the translation layer I'm suggesting above.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgrundy wrote:
Karlsen wrote:
It would be nice if the owner of any GeekList using that image were GeekMailed to notify them that the image has been replaced so that they could check to see if they wish to choose a new image for their list, although the expression icing on the cake does spring to mind.
That'd be nice, but harder to search out than you might imagine. (If you could do that, you could also just replace all those references instead of the translation layer I'm suggesting above.)

It all depends on the indexing (that is, or is not, already in place)cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
It all depends on the indexing (that is, or is not, already in place)cool
Well the images get embedded arbitrarily in text. While it's possible Aldie already added code to track every edit of text and add/remove entries in a table of image usage, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have done so.

Geeklist entries is easy, and has such an index.

jgrundy wrote:
What would be needed would be a translation layer. Behind the scenes, change the underlying table name and create a view over it with the same name as the original table.
btw something similar would be good for merged game entries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgrundy wrote:

5 out of 559 images. Quite bad box cover shots (among the first images i uploaded), for which i have now provided better ones.

Oh, and a few more, if i happen to stumble over them. I noticed for one of my old shots, someone else has uploaded a better one. But i don't think i would search all images to find such instances.

And i might upload a better replacement image for some of my very old component shots, if i am able to substitute the old ones.

So for my images, not woth to program such a thing. That's because many of my images (and about all of the old ones) were for games with only very few other images before (and not much more now).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there are a few I would remove and then replace with better (sometimes scanned) images. As it is now, I don't really want to upload another box top image when I've already uploaded an inferior version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few of mine that I would like to "replace" with a better shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hell yes I would. I have been wanting something like this for a while.

I would say it has to be replaced with a nearly identical -though better quality- image. The only way to do this effectively would be to have it go through a process of geekmodding.

But that opens up a whole bucket of worms.

And I understand the difficulty of replacing the image within geeklists and such.

It would be a great thing to be able to do and I believe it would raise the over all quality of the site. However, with all of the potential to break the site as well, I don't hold much hope it will be implemented.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I would most definitely delete some of my images. Afterall, I only submitted them for the GG. I mean, seriously, what other reason do we submit images for? You know what I'm saying?

Also, I took one of my images during a, uh, Greek Toga Debauchery Party and the reflection off of one of the more shiny surfaces is a little too revealing, if you know what I mean...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
I mean, seriously, what other reason do we submit images for? You know what I'm saying?

I submit mine for the fame, fortune and accolades.

But, there are a couple that haven't earned me enough fame, so I'd delete those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
joebelanger wrote:
I mean, seriously, what other reason do we submit images for? You know what I'm saying?

I submit mine for the fame, fortune and accolades.

But, there are a couple that haven't earned me enough fame, so I'd delete those.

I've submitted a couple in the hopes that the Pulitzer board would see them and nominate me. No such luck. But hope springs eternal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Hinds
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to submit any images but I am already overcome with fear that I will regret them quickly so knowing ahead of time that I could delete them would be great.

I was thinking about what gmcnish said, and I think it should cost Geek Gold to have the image deleted. That might seem insane, but it's only fair to take back what was given to you. Also, if you just plan on uploading a better version you will get it right back and you will be where you were in the first place.

I think jgrundy is right, but I don't completely understand his verbiage, so I'll tell you what I would try to do (having VERY little understanding of how BGG's code actually works). I think that when the image is deleted, the entry in the database should not be; it should get a new property saying it's been deleted, whenever another piece of code accesses that image in the database it checks for a delete flag and acts accordingly. If the code were trying to display the image it would instead display the representative image. If the code was generating the gallery for a given game it would see the flag and skip on over to the next image. Etc. There are tons of scenarios but it may be possible to work around them all given enough time and effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
Also, I took one of my images during a, uh, Greek Toga Debauchery Party and the reflection off of one of the more shiny surfaces is a little too revealing, if you know what I mean...
Well that's one way to get people to scan through your images.

(Maybe they'll thumb some along the way?)

It's a bit like when you say, "omg a car just hit a cat in the street out front and there's cat guts spattered all over the road" at which point everyone rushes to the window to look. (?!?!??)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Why should I 'bother'? These seem to become "outdated" and "updated" ALL by their lonesomes! Were I to LOSE anymore "GG"s from this, then I'd be BACK in the 'hole' again!
surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgrundy wrote:
joebelanger wrote:
Well that's one way to get people to scan through your images.

(Maybe they'll thumb some along the way?)

It's a bit like when you say, "omg a car just hit a cat in the street out front and there's cat guts spattered all over the road" at which point everyone rushes to the window to look. (?!?!??)

Pervert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.