Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Lynch
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone found this thing to be really hard to destroy? I've used it a number of times, and just can't get it destroyed no matter what I do. Anyone else have this problem? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to tell without more detail about the matches you're playing with it. It's supposed to be powerful, but Epic matches mean there are lots of ships flying around. Concentrate a lot of fire on it (missiles, torpedoes, TIE swarms, whatever) and it'll go quick enough. You really want to deal enough damage to take out a section in one round, so it doesn't have a chance to recover shields.

Like say you have an 8-TIE Howlrunner/Crack Shot swarm. That's 128 points They take a pass or two at this thing, even with Reinforce, and it's going to go down pretty quick. Maybe you lose a TIE or two, but that's a fair trade for a ship that's 90 points at minimum, probably much more with upgrades. As Rebels or Scum, a bunch of Z-95s with Homing Missiles or Cluster Missiles and Guidance Chips are going to do a lot of damage real fast. But you have to decide if you want to concentrate on the huge ship or hope you can take it out with your own huge ship and whatever fighters you have that survive the small-ship dogfights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lynch
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have thrown A LOT of ships at it-it's always upgraded with great cards that work together, It's a hard nut to crack. You say lots of missiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of missiles is one way, lots of ships that can make sure their hits count are another (like a Crack Shot/Howlrunner swarm). Missiles or torps work great for this, because the CR can't roll any dice against them; all it has is a reinforce token, if it has one. Basically approach it like you're taking on two large ships — a strategy that would work against a Decimator will work against half a huge ship too.

The main thing is you need to overwhelm one section in one round if at all possible, because otherwise it can regenerate shields and erase your progress.

I don't know what ships you have to work with, but here's a sample 300pt list that I think would work well. You could drop an upgrade to make sure you have initiative so all your ships shoot at the CR before it gets to shoot at you (unless the other side is using Swarm Tactics or Roark Garnet or something to boost it) Or switch to Plasma Torpedoes on the Gammas; those will help chew through the CR's shields before the TIEs fire.

Black Squadron Pilot (15) x 5
TIE Fighter (14), Crack Shot (1)

“Howlrunner” (18)
TIE Fighter (18), Adaptability (0)

Gamma Squadron Veteran (26) x 2
TIE Bomber (19), Crack Shot (1), Proton Torpedoes (4), Extra Munitions (2), Guidance Chips (0)

Captain Jonus (25)
TIE Bomber (22), TIE Shuttle (0), Fleet Officer (3), Long Range Scanners (0)

Colonel Vessery (44)
TIE Defender (35), Assault Missiles (5), Ion Cannon (3), Crack Shot (1), TIE/D (0), Guidance Chips (0)

Captain Yorr (33)
Lambda-Class Shuttle (24), Electronic Baffle (1), Emperor Palpatine (8)

Gozanti-class Cruiser (50)
Gozanti-Class Cruiser (40), Targeting Coordinator (4), Sensor Team (4), Docking Clamps (0), Vector (2)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.