Subject: Should longboards always bail out of barrel waves? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim S.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Since it's so hard to successfully ride a barrel wave on a longboard, shouldn't you just always bail when they show up? Unless you have fewer than 5 points in your score pile, I mean?

That's what I always do when I have points to protect, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

And, just double-checking--you can do that, right? You can bail before a barrel wave makes you wipe out, right?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TimOfLegend wrote:
Since it's so hard to successfully ride a barrel wave on a longboard, shouldn't you just always bail when they show up? Unless you have fewer than 5 points in your score pile, I mean?

That's what I always do when I have points to protect, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

And, just double-checking--you can do that, right? You can bail before a barrel wave makes you wipe out, right?

Thanks!

Just depends on your play style as well as the game state at the time really. For instance, if I NEED to get a higher score than what I've currently got on my longboard and the end of the game is close at hand I'll be more likely to risk the barrel. On the other hand if it's early in the game I'm more likely to bail.

And yes, when the barrel card shows up you will have the opportunity in the next Advance / Play phase to choose either the Ride action or the Bail action prior to flipping the barrel wave card over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on how badly you need a big score, and how much you feel like pushing your luck.

Also, don't be afraid to spend your Stoke tokens on Stoke cards. There are cards that let you see the top wave card (or look at the top 3 and rearrange), and those are great to hang on to for barrel waves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim S.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks! Okay, I feel better about my longboard strategy now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Freeman
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I was able to pair up a longboard run with In The Zone on Tuesday to make sure I was successful in riding the barrel

I tend to go for it regardless in most cases, unless the current score of my wave is so high I can't quite bring myself to risk it. I love the delicious tension of waiting to see which number the barrel card reveals!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.