Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Calahan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2 player flavor of Mercator adds the ability to receive 2 coins when the 5 coin space is taken.

My (limited) experience is that the 5 coin space is rarely taken in a 2 player game. Because the spot is filled by a dummy die, at best it nets you one extra coin (relative to the 3-coin bonus action) - if and only if you place a '1' die there.

Even when that opportunity does present itself to Mercator's opponent, it seems unlikely that they will feel that the extra coin justifies giving 2 free coins to Mercator.

So, it seems to me that this part of Mercator's ability is pretty close to pointless. Am I missing something?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pcal wrote:
The 2 player flavor of Mercator adds the ability to receive 2 coins when the 5 coin space is taken.

My (limited) experience is that the 5 coin space is rarely taken in a 2 player game. Because the spot is filled by a dummy die, it at best nets you one extra coin (relative to the 3-coin bonus action) - if and only if you place a '1' die there.

Even when that opportunity does present itself to Mercator's opponent, it seems unlikely that they will feel that the extra coin justifies giving 2 free coins to Mercator.

So, it seems to me that this part of Mercator's ability is pretty close to pointless. Am I missing something?
Maybe the two player rules are different... but in the normal game, there's no cost to placing a die there unless someone else already has a die there. In general, you never pay a cost to place a die unless there is a die already in that spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Maybe the two player rules are different... but in the normal game, there's no cost to placing a die there unless someone else already has a die there. In general, you never pay a cost to place a die unless there is a die already in that spot.

As Patrick said, in a 2-player game you are required to put a "dummy" die on the "Take 5 coins" action space. This causes any player except Berke Khan to pay coins for using that space.

I agree with Patrick that that part of Mercator's power kicks in very very rarely: either the other player is Berke, or he really needs 4 coins instead of only 3 (and thus is willing to place a 1, pay 1 coin and gain 5).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An underrated (apparently) reason to use the 5 coin space (even if you have a 2) is that it is a main action.

In a two player game especially, you may want to drag out actions as much as possible to preserve dice so you can travel last to gain/retain start player.

Probably not worth giving the opponent free coins when Mercator is the opponent, but DEFINITELY worth doing in other scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Eppler
Germany
Braunschweig
flag msg tools
pcal wrote:

Exactly. In 2 player games the 5-money spot is most useful for Berkhe, Raschid and Johannes. Whith that ability of Mercator they will use the spot even more seldom so these characters are weakened by the ability of Mercator. It is seldom used but not pointless at all.The threat itself for gaining 2 extra money against these characters is defintely there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.