Dead Last» Forums » General

Subject: Tied Final Showdown - how does this work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim South
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Super excited about this game, though I haven't played yet. Was reading through the rules and noticed the explanation for what to do when you have 2 players tied with the same amount of gold at the end. I understand this is not a likely occurrence, but if it DOES happen, the rules say to do another showdown between the 2 players that are tied.

But isn't that final showdown just going to deteriorate into Steal/Steal until some other player wins? Sure, in a single showdown it can be in your benefit to Share or Grab&Go, but when the person who gets the most from the showdown is going to win the game, both Share and Grab&Go lose to Steal.

Here are the possible outcomes as I see them:

Steal vs Steal = Could continue until a 3rd party wins
Steal vs Share/Grab&Go = Steal wins
Share vs Grab&Go = Share wins
Share vs Share or Grab&Go vs Grab&Go = random result

Obviously both players could say "well let's just leave it up to chance and both play Share (or Grab&Go)", but that just comes down to a die roll (or a betrayal) so let's ignore those.

Grab & Go literally cannot win, so there's no point in playing it. Which means since Share vs Grab & Go is the only situation where Share wins, it's also pointless to play Share.

I understand that in many situations the game is about selectively cooperating to mutual benefit between you and another player vs the rest of the players. But in a tied showdown at the end of the game, you don't really have any reason to cooperate with them, because it only opens you up to losing. Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
gosjims wrote:
Super excited about this game, though I haven't played yet. Was reading through the rules and noticed the explanation for what to do when you have 2 players tied with the same amount of gold at the end. I understand this is not a likely occurrence, but if it DOES happen, the rules say to do another showdown between the 2 players that are tied.

But isn't that final showdown just going to deteriorate into Steal/Steal until some other player wins? Sure, in a single showdown it can be in your benefit to Share or Grab&Go, but when the person who gets the most from the showdown is going to win the game, both Share and Grab&Go lose to Steal.

Here are the possible outcomes as I see them:

Steal vs Steal = Could continue until a 3rd party wins
Steal vs Share/Grab&Go = Steal wins
Share vs Grab&Go = Share wins
Share vs Share or Grab&Go vs Grab&Go = random result

Obviously both players could say "well let's just leave it up to chance and both play Share (or Grab&Go)", but that just comes down to a die roll (or a betrayal) so let's ignore those.

Grab & Go literally cannot win, so there's no point in playing it. Which means since Share vs Grab & Go is the only situation where Share wins, it's also pointless to play Share.

I understand that in many situations the game is about selectively cooperating to mutual benefit between you and another player vs the rest of the players. But in a tied showdown at the end of the game, you don't really have any reason to cooperate with them, because it only opens you up to losing. Am I missing something?

You bring up a very good point, and it's potentially worth addressing, but as I understand it if both players play Steal everyone else still gets a gold bar. In other words, the tiebreaker Showdown is not in isolation but can end up giving someone else the win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim South
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to figure out. It seems like you only really have two choices: play to let your opponent win by playing Share/Grab&Go, or play to make you and your opponent lose by playing Steal. There doesn't appear to be a route to victory in the tied final showdown other than both people agreeing to play Share/Grab&Go and hoping they get better gold than the opponent.

So I guess maybe that's the incentive? If either of you want to win you have to convince the other that you're going to play Share and convince THEM to play Share and agree to the coin flip. Then you can either follow through and take the coin flip, or you can Steal and win. Or you both Steal and potentially give the victory to someone else. I don't know, it just doesn't seem like very satisfying options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Covert
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gosjims wrote:
If either of you want to win you have to convince the other that you're going to play Share and convince THEM to play Share and agree to the coin flip. Then you can either follow through and take the coin flip, or you can Steal and win. Or you both Steal and potentially give the victory to someone else. I don't know, it just doesn't seem like very satisfying options.

That is the exact scenario most people will have in this rather rare occurrence of being tied (I have yet to see it, and I play a lot).
But, to the contrary, I think it is a fitting and tension filled conclusion which will either end in a 'well done' golf clap and handshake (share/share), or hilarious betrayal - or double betrayal that could push the win out of their hands. I love this conclusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.