1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Dice game recommendation. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Chal
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, I have some games in my collection but I don't have any dice game and I want to add one to it. The problem is that I don't specially like excesive luck dependant games so I'm looking for a dice/euro mix or something like that, if u know what I mean.

I like dice games with custom nice dices where u have to roll them and set collection like pairs, trios or so, use them like workers, etc... I have been looking for them here in the web and right now my candidates are Roll for the galaxy or Favor of the Pharaoh.

That is more or less what im looking for, but I want, if possible, to receive some advice from anyone who like those kind of games before I buy one. I'm looking for something with mid weight, not so easy where u can make your choices.

As I said, I really look forward Roll for the galaxy, but sadly for me is not in my native language (Spanish), so I haven't decided myself to buy it. I know it is not so much language dependant but my group is kinda reluctant to play any game that is not in Spanish so... Can u recommend something similar in weight, mechanics, components etc..? It would be nice it has a Spanish version but I'm willing to try some english game if it is not so much language dependant (like RftG).

Ty and sorry for any possible bad english whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe Steampunk Rally. Dice rolling is only one part of this card drafting, dice placement, racing game. Luck is heavily mitigated by good strategy.

ETA: The game is only available in English, though there is a Spanish rulebook uploaded to the BGG files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, your English is great. I personally love Roll for the Galaxy. To me it is not heavily luck based, despite all the dice! It definitely fits the bill for a dice as workers game. Big, big, big +1 on that for me. But I understand if it doesn't work for you because of the language. Favor of the Pharaoh has been on my radar for a while, but I have not played it yet. I think it is perhaps more luck based than RftG.

Another game that comes to mind is Troyes. It is a euro style worker placement that uses both meeples and dice. But you may have trouble finding it at a good price. I do believe there is a Spanish edition, but I'm not certain. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll for the Galaxy is a real favorite of ours. Nos gusta! It is so language-dependent though. If you can find a way to play the game en espanol, I think you will find it a good competitive game.

CV is enjoyable, but muy simple.

Elder Sign is very challenging, and is still somewhat language dependent. Much of it is thematic (flavor) text, but you'll still need a translation to play it.

I wish you luck! Buena suerte!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Chal
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emu Prime wrote:
Maybe Steampunk Rally. Dice rolling is only one part of this card drafting, dice placement, racing game. Luck is heavily mitigated by good strategy.

ETA: The game is only available in English, though there is a Spanish rulebook uploaded to the BGG files.

Didn't know that one, I like what i saw in the first look, and will investigate more about it. Ty man for advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Roll for the Galaxy a lot.

The Voyages of Marco Polo is also a very good one and has a Spanish edition

Alien Frontiers is also a lot of fun, especially if you like a bit of area control (it's multilingual edition is Alien Frontiers)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Chal
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi man, about the luck based FotP I agree with u, but I still like the mechanics of rolling and discarding dices, take cards to achieve new dices etc.. It's ok for me, it's on my radar too but its hard to choose .

Troyes seems interesting to me but I think it's to heavy for my group, sadly.

CV seem to easy as Michael said, not my tipe.. but nevertheless i like that Elder Sign, I will study it too.

I really apreciate the help, lets gonna wait for some more help, if not I have some games to choose already.. but I still RftG its my best option since there are no Spanis versions of this games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B. Hansen
Denmark
Odense N
flag msg tools
"duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck" Ralph Wiggum .....
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at Ciúb . It is designed by Tom Lehman, one of the designers behind Roll for the Galaxy. It is quite straight forward, but make sure you read the rules correctly. I have had a few strange games were we didnt play correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Chal
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaimowitz wrote:
I enjoy Roll for the Galaxy a lot.

The Voyages of Marco Polo is also a very good one and has a Spanish edition

Alien Frontiers is also a lot of fun, especially if you like a bit of area control (it's multilingual edition is Alien Frontiers)

Those 2 game fit my requirements so nice, gonna take a look at them too, ty!

I like the Alien frontiers theme and the weight about 2,5 seems nice to my group.

Rly apreciate the help of all of u guys, ty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like there's no thread I can't recommend this game in... Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn, very good, very tight, looks great, dice luck is mitigated by various abilities and my gf loves it. 2 player only though.

King of New York is great for 3+ players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Chal
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeeDeveel wrote:
Seems like there's no thread I can't recommend this game in... Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn, very good, very tight, looks great, dice luck is mitigated by various abilities and my gf loves it. 2 player only though.

King of New York is great for 3+ players.

That one seems rly nice, so nice dices surprise. Will study it... but what u say it's 2 player only? It says it is 2-4 player on the game file blush.

Ty for your contribution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes I think you can play it 2-4 but really it's designed for 2p like Magic The Gathering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
check out Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia
Its my current pick for a dice game
I know they have spanish rules but I don't know where to check for getting spanish cards. You don't use the cards often so even a reference guide would work but you do need to play with the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Favor of the Pharaoh is a terrific dice game with many ways to mitigate the rolls you get.
Valeria: Card Kingdoms is a very fun one as well where you activate cards you collect and add to the table with dice rolls.
Dragon Farkle... more like a filler but fun.
Dice City something like Valeria where you add cards to your to improve what you can gain with your die rolls.
Good luck with your quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Chal
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank u all, I think I have enough material to try to pick my next game, rly apreciate all the help.

If anyone knows any other cool dice game I will be willing to take a look at it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Winnowski
United States
Upper St Clair
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Marco Polo
-or-
Troyes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Thank u all, I think I have enough material to try to pick my next game, rly apreciate all the help.

If anyone knows any other cool dice game I will be willing to take a look at it

I'll add some more anyways, for future reference!

Order of the Gilded Compass is one to keep an eye on, which is a reworking/update of Alea Iacta Est
Kingsburg. Be sure to get the expansion too.
Dice Town is always a fun game.
Dice Stars sounds interesting to me.
Las Vegas might be too lucky and light but my goodness is it ever fun!
Ancient Terrible Things takes inspiration from Yahtzee in many ways but is still unique.
Dice Brewing Beer. Dice. Brewing. Beer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia Browne
Chile
Santiago
RM
flag msg tools
mb
For a lighter game check out +1 CV. +1 Las Vegas. +1 Alea Iacta est. +1 Escape: the curse of the temple (a real time dice chucking game!)+1 Tiny Epic Galaxy. Also Qwinto and Qwixx. Favor of the pharaoh is neat, but didn´t get me. The same for RftG, Grand Austria Hotel, Marco Polo. I gues i dont like the dice placement mechanic, except in castles of burgundy and euphoria wich are great games. I have heard good things about Nations the dice game also (as a filler version of nations) and about kingsburg + it's expansion. But haven´t tried them myself.

Suerte en la búsqueda!

Antonia

PD: Para mí los juegos de dados, como tienen harta suerte, tienen que ser cortos .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic: The Cure has lots of custom dice.
It is a dice version of Pandemic and also a cooperative game. The feeling of the original is well transported into the more random dice game.
There are custom dice for each of the four diseases with different distributions of the dice eyes, as well as a set of unique dice for each of the seven roles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for the voyages of Marco Polo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel balik
Czech Republic
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SoundCity wrote:
+1 for the voyages of Marco Polo

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm very fond of Eric Lang's 'Trains and Stations'. While very much a dice game it has an element of set collection where you gather resources and score points for collecting more in each set than your opponents. It also allows you to build buildings at train stations by spending dice results. While rolling enough to build is very much luck-based, choosing where to place it is vital as busier stations pay more rewards.

So, lots of rolling dice, but a few nice strategic elements compliment it very well (in my humble opinion).

Edit: Oh, and check out Tiny Epic Galaxies. it's a bit plain for me without the mini expansion (Satellites and Super-Weapons), but the expansion is cheaply picked up on the designers website and adds enough mechanics to make choices a bit deeper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have been really enjoying Nations: The Dice Game lately, a light civ/engine building game using where there are a number of things you can do to try and mitigate bad rolls.

+1 for Alien Frontiers and Tiny Epic Galaxies as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castles of Burgundy Came to mind pretty quickly. Surprised no one has mentioned it yet.

I've only played Roll for the Galaxy once, but I loved it! If you can make it work with the language barrier, that would be an excellent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of oldies but goodies: Yspahan and Alea Iacta Est. Both are great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.