Popular Tags: [View All]
Lionel
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I just got the game and have to make a very difficult player decision. I have 2 options:

1- Play 2p with my wife. We can play super easily at least once a week, and probably several times a week if we get caught on.

2- Play 4p with a couple of friends we play with, in average once a month. I love to play with them. One additional problem though: my friend hate coops with potential alpha-player issues. Semi-coops work well, but he dislikes pandemic because it's basically a solitaire game. Not sure if that's the same issue in Legacy?

Any thoughts? I see that the 4p experience is more recommended and I guess that it would be more fun, but does that make sense to play with my wife instead?
Is that beneficial to the game experience to have more players? Without spoilers - does each player has some personal decision, or is it a team effort like the regular Pandemic?

Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hindmarch
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Play with the wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legacy is harder to alpha-game since no-one knows what's coming until they get there, so it's not just a question of optimal play being difficult to figure out, but of not knowing what the long-term goals should be.

On the other hand, you can still get someone trying to make all the decisions for everyone - just with less justification for insisting they're right.

I'd ask your friend how he feels about the game with this information, and use that to inform your decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO the best way to play is regularly with the same group. The developing story and shared experience are the appeal of this game for me. Think of it like watching a TV show. If you go too long between sessions, you forget what happened before, like going several weeks between episodes. You can play each game with different people, or even different player counts, but anyone who has missed sessions will have to be caught up, like having to explain episodes 1-4 to someone who jumps in to watch episode 5.

With this in my mind, I would say play with your wife. Pandemic Legacy is a coop so your friend will hate it. You will be able to have continuity playing with your wife.

One thing to keep in mind is that the game is easier with 2P. If you want more of a challenge and variety in roles, what you could do is play as 2 roles each. If that doesn't sound appealing to you, playing with 2 roles is still enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Winnowski
United States
Upper St Clair
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Wife
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice! We played with my wife and 4 characters and we unfortunately lost by one card the first month.
Bad luck, most of the red cards were towards the end of the stack and the game ended one card before the turn of the character who was ready to cure.

Looking forward keeping playing tomorrow, that would have been so frustrating to wait
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PAC PAC
France
flag msg tools
Jouer avec 2 personnages est plus facile qu'avec 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
J'aime les challenges

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.