Golan: The Last Syrian Offensive» Forums » Rules

Subject: 1st turn win for syrians nearly unavoidable rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Russell

APO
AE
msg tools
Just finished playing this a couple times with my son who gave up in complete frustration after playing the Israelis.

A couple questions/comments.

It seems nearly impossible to avoid a Syrian victory before the Israeli reinforcements arrive. With the double movement phases (regular and mobile) it was just way too easy for the Syrians to blow past the Israelis and get at least a couple of units off the mapboard before Israeli reinforcements arrive...if the Syrians haven't suffered any casualties, one unit is sufficient to win the way the rules are written. It almost feels like the game was meant to be played without a mobile movement phase. Is there something I'm missing here? The initial Israeli blocking force just can't cover all the exits with 2 of them pretty much doomed from turn one. Maybe the Syrians should only get the regular or mobile phase on turn 1?

Use of the Israeli air force seemed way too risky too. Within the same period, a couple turns, any use of the Israeli air units, against 10+ SAMs on the Syrian side, seemed to doom them to so many casualties you were quickly looking at an Israeli draw being the best they could hope for.

Finally...being able to counter battery air power with artillery seems kind of ridiculous in a bombardment situation.

I know simplicity is one of the appealing parts of the game...but I definitely feel like a bit more nuance is needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.