Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Neal
Canada
Hillsburgh
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a copy of the original Warplan Dropshot game and for what it's worth, here's an AAR on a solo 1957 scenario.

The Soviet strategy was to use nukes, but limit them to Europe and close by SAC bases like North Africa or Philippines. Europe was targeted so that the ports would be unusable for the US to bring in reinforcements. Politically, the message to the US was we didn't nuke you, don't nuke us. Then the Soviets ran amuck in the ground war in Europe, pushing NATO out of Germany and generally destroying their units.

The US response was to nuke all Soviet bomber bases that weren't in the same hex as an industry. The message: We're going to take your strategic weapons away, we're not specifically targeting your cities. What would be called a 'counterforce' strategy. Unfortunately it was still a rout for NATO in Europe. France surrendered due to the damage to their country from nukes, and the Soviets had most of continental Europe in their hands, except for Spain, Italy and Greece.

However, while the US avoided attacking large population centres in the USSR, there was still considerable fallout as indicated by the nuclear damage markers on the airbases. At the end of turn 2, the USSR government collapsed. In addition, their oil facilities were all nuked so it would have been difficult to carry on a full tilt offensive. Net result: NATO victory.

So the scenario's conclusion was the Soviet ground forces won a great victory in western Europe, but it was all for naught because their homeland was glowing in the dark. So basically it didn't pay to go nuclear. On the other hand, if they had avoided nukes there was no guarantee that NATO would have abstained, especially with the beating they took.

Maybe deterrence really did work. Too risky to start a direct confrontation even on a conventional level because it could escalate so easily.

Excellent game for evaluating various strategies, then reflecting on the results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Costello
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for a very nifty AAR, Charles!

* Indeed, Soviet fears of a massive nuclear conflict did prevent a major war from occurring. Same can be said of both sides as the arsenals grew well beyond sanity.

One wonders, though, about the situation today, but that would be an entirely separate game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Neal
Canada
Hillsburgh
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With North Korea, the situation is almost like the Cuban Missile Crisis. The US (plus other interested parties) might be able to go in and take out missile sites. But there is a definite uncertainty whether they could get them all. At that point NK might conclude they have nothing to lose and launch the remaining missiles.

Might be a game in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done Charles, I personally don't know this game, but, I found your write up very enthralling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Neal
Canada
Hillsburgh
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Vimy145 wrote:
Well done Charles, I personally don't know this game, but, I found your write up very enthralling.

I could bring it to Breslau, :) It includes an introductory scenario that probably only takes 30 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cgneal wrote:
Vimy145 wrote:

I could bring it to Breslau, It includes an introductory scenario that probably only takes 30 minutes.

Please do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Neal
Canada
Hillsburgh
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Vimy145 wrote:
cgneal wrote:
Vimy145 wrote:

I could bring it to Breslau, It includes an introductory scenario that probably only takes 30 minutes.

Please do.

I have both the original Dropshot game and the II/III sequel in a plastic scrapbooking case - they didn't know what I was going to use it for devil
So it should travel well and I can bring it with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.