$30.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Advanced Squad Leader» Forums » General

Subject: Any Cheap Source for the Map Pack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
I am seriously thinking of taking the plunge for the ASL Map Pack from MMP.

I see it is on CSI, but does anyone know of a cheaper source for all those maps? The price is good, but it is still a chunk and I would love to get it cheaper if I decide to dive back into ASL. (I owned several of the original items when they came out but have sold them since then.)

I could also use a good source for the rulebook. I may way until Black Friday and see what MMP has on offer then, though diving in on that could get quite expensive overall.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it is possible to bargain hunt for core components for ASL, unless you can find someone selling them used. Consimworld market sometimes has good deals on whole kits.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mb
I can't imagine finding this at any bargin as it is very specialized even for ASL.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's your 'go' price?

This is ~ U$210, but that's before shipping. I have yet to be disappointed by him, but maybe because he has good shipping rates for Canadians.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ASL-Map-Bundle-New-/121865413907?hash...guiEAAOxy79JRiqdd

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CSI is $191.49 plus free shipping. That's probably the best retail you're going to find.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
NWS Wargaming Store has it for $159 + shipping. Don't know how that will compare to the CSI price for you.

P.S. I've never seen the ASL rulebook go on sale.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:
if I decide to dive back into ASL


Hmmm...if you do dive back into ASL, you'll probably get Beyond Valor with 10 mapboards and then Yanks will give you another 8 maps. So you'll have 18 of them quick and a whole bunch of playtime just from those.

I'm not sure if the map pack is the best way to go. It's great for old timers trying to replace their old boards with the new style but if you're starting fresh I would think about putting it off a while.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
andrews777 wrote:
if I decide to dive back into ASL


Hmmm...if you do dive back into ASL, you'll probably get Beyond Valor with 10 mapboards and then Yanks will give you another 8 maps. So you'll have 18 of them quick and a whole bunch of playtime just from those.

I'm not sure if the map pack is the best way to go. It's great for old timers trying to replace their old boards with the new style but if you're starting fresh I would think about putting it off a while.


What he said. When you pick up the individual modules, you'll get the boards and scenarios to go with them. No reason to purchase separately.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Sigh.
badge
Yawn.
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to keep reinforcing this: The map pack is an upgrade for existing players with hardback boards. New players should just buy the core modules, which include the same starter kit-style boards.

Edit for clarity.
6 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Wu
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tkpope wrote:
CSI is $191.49 plus free shipping. That's probably the best retail you're going to find.


The map pack was discounted at MMP for $180 during one of their seasonal sales last year, but shipping probably brought it up to the CSI level. Still, best I've seen.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the thoughts.

I am also a compulsive collector, so I would rather get the map pack now than want it later when it is not available.

A bit annoying that I owned many of the original maps at one point, but that was quite a while ago now.

I will not compulsively collect it all now though, just parts. Probably aim at Beyond Valor, Yanks and a few others to go with the 3 ASL starter games I have now.

I just don't want to want the maps later and not be able to get them, hence wanting them at the "start" of trying it again.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Something to think about. If you're going to end up purchasing several of the modules it may end up being cheaper to purchase selected boards directly through MMP at $5 each. They've been pretty good about keeping them in stock. Just Beyond Valor and Yanks will be 18 of the boards and you've already got the t-z starter kit maps. That leaves 34 maps, minus any you purchase with modules. Getting those 34 straight from MMP will be $170 plus shipping, so you're already at around the CSI price for the bundle.

The list of what they have is here:
http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Products/tabid/58/Category...
4 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:
I am also a compulsive collector, so I would rather get the map pack now than want it later when it is not available.


Um, you don't want to be a compulsive collector of ASL unless you're really sure you'll play it. Because even the "official" stuff (just things published by Avalon Hill/MMP) will literally cost you thousands of dollars to collect if you really get it all.

And that's no joke. Thousands of dollars.

I mean, perhaps you're wealthy, in which case collect on, but otherwise, be cautious about getting the collector bug with ASL.

(Ask me how I know this.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
SlyFrog wrote:
andrews777 wrote:
I am also a compulsive collector, so I would rather get the map pack now than want it later when it is not available.


Um, you don't want to be a compulsive collector of ASL unless you're really sure you'll play it. Because even the "official" stuff (just things published by Avalon Hill/MMP) will literally cost you thousands of dollars to collect if you really get it all.

And that's no joke. Thousands of dollars.

I mean, perhaps you're wealthy, in which case collect on, but otherwise, be cautious about getting the collector bug with ASL.

(Ask me how I know this.)


I am fully aware of that. You can view my collection for most of my games, but I have not entered all that I have spent on DiceMasters, XWing, STAW, etc. I am willing to devote money, over time, though I am trimming that now.

I would not buy all ASL now of course, more than I want to spend, but something like the map pack could easily be gone and is thus of interest.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Drake
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NWS online was the cheapest I could find on the web at $159---my wife bought it for me for my birthday.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Taylor
United States
Kearny
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
drakester wrote:
NWS online was the cheapest I could find on the web at $159---my wife bought it for me for my birthday.

Happy birthday!
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:
I could also use a good source for the rulebook. I may way until Black Friday and see what MMP has on offer then, though diving in on that could get quite expensive overall.


I have no inside information, so I could be wrong about the future, but I'm pretty sure that I've never seen MMP discount the rulebook or BV3 at a Black Friday sale, and Yanks 2 just came out, so it definitely won't be discounted. (Rising Sun and HP have been out long enough that they might be discounted, but I wouldn't hold my breath.) So the only reason to wait for Black Friday is to see if there is other MMP merchandise being sold at a steep enough discount to make sense to pay full MSRP for the rulebook/BV3/Yanks2 and save on shipping via a combined order. And unless you're interested in other MMP games, I think that's unlikely (a few action packs and scenario packs might be on sale, but the discounts aren't going to be enough to offset the MSRP on the big ticket items plus shipping), so you're probably better off ordering the rulebook/BV3/Yanks2 right now from NWS or Gamers' Armory. (NWS generally beats Gamers' Armory on pricing, but in my past experience Gamers' Armory has a much better selection of TPP products for ASL.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BattleSchool Managing Editor
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark.Watson wrote:
I want to keep reinforcing this: The map pack is an upgrade for existing players with hardback boards. New players should just buy the core modules, which include the same starter kit-style boards.

Edit for clarity.


Agreed. Unless you want a second set of maps, this is the ideal approach.

There are two caveats though. First, several core modules (FKaC, DB3, and AoO) are currently out of print, and sell at a premium. Buying the boards either separately, or as part of the map bundle, may be more economical. Second, some boards, e.g. board 41, have not been available separately from MMP for more than a year. Purchasing a map bundle will ensure that you have all boards numbered 1-52 (and t-z).

IOW, waiting for a module to be reprinted, or paying a premium for an OOP core module, may not be everyone's cup o' tea, especially if one already has access to an older version of a module (e.g. WoA, or DB1/2)).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
The immediate urge passed, but I am still going to consider this.

Thanks for all the input.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If anybody was still looking for cheap maps, CSI has them for $180 (with free shipping):
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/138042
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to note: MMP has the original map bundle back in stock plus a preorder up for the new "supplemental map bundle" (covering all official geoboards issued since the original map bundle was released):

Original map bundle: http://www.multimanpublishing.com/tabid/58/CategoryID/4/Prod...

Supplemental map bundle: http://www.multimanpublishing.com/tabid/59/ProductID/349/Def...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.