PanzerBlitz» Forums » Variants

Subject: VASSAL modules for PanzerBlitz rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert McConnell
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Armored Combat: It's all about position and getting the first shot.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just thought I would attempt to get some input on the various VASSAL modules available for PanzerBlitz/Panzer Leader and solicit any observations on them. Which module do you as a gamer like best? Do the current modules meet your needs for PBEM or "real time" play on the web?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McConnell
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to partially answer my own question, just to give everyone an idea of what I am talking about. I have three versions of PanzerBlitz/Panzer Leader uploaded from VASSAL to my laptop. The first module is version 3.44 which is 6.14 megabytes of RAM storage and has a 1.9 Mb module expansion (scenarios). The second is more intriguing: version 3.5b (11.82 Mb) with 16 Panzer Leader scenarios in a 1.98 Mb module expansion. Number three is possibly the best: version 3.5z (15.37 Mb) with six(!) expansion modules including all of the additional Imaginative Strategist expansion map boards(!) for PanzerBlitz and Panzer Leader, the Arab-Israeli Wars maps (for North Africa battles, 29.28 Mb), and the Finnish Winter War scenarios and counters (7.18 Mb). Last and not least is version 3.6 (15.38 Mb) which is similar to version 3.5z without the expansion modules (sadly), but which has Play By EMail (PBEM) functionality. All of this is wonderful for me as I no longer have the physical boxed PanzerBlitz since I sold it along with most of my collection five years ago.
So please write a short note and post to this thread as I think the PBEM version is a viable alternative for those with no nearby opponents where they reside. Oh, and I am working on a PBEM PanzerBlitz/Panzer Leader VASSAL module with larger maps and counters that you can see unzoomed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kilpatrick
Australia
flag msg tools
I don't have the answers but would love to know what they are. Just to muddy the waters when you click on Panzer Leader in the list of Vassal mods you are redirected to the Panzer Blitz mod which apparently incorporates Panzer Leader. However you'll see in the Panzer Leader entry here on BGG that Craig Walters of DDD Designs has produced a new Panzer Leader mod but it's not hosted on Vassal due to size restrictions.

I have a copy of Panzer Blitz and hope to get into playing it PBEM using a Vassal mod one day! If you can garner advice on which mod that should be it would be much appreciated

I find it slightly ironic seeing such a plethora of Vassal mod options for this game when it's so hard to find somebody with the time and inclination to make the first mod for some other games I'd like to try. An example is Down with the King. I know I should do it myself but I'd rather play than code!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McConnell
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David, thanks for the observations/input. If you want to play PanzerBlitz via PBEM, then (as far as I know) PanzerBlitz/Panzer Leader module version 3.6 is the one for you. It is leaner in RAM than the others and only has the original three PB maps and four PL maps. It does have a significant number of the Imaginative Strategist counters and the expansion counters, so you won't lack for choices. My criticism would be on the viewing size and lack of counter clarity even when zooming in. But I know why this is: larger counters and maps take up more RAM for the application.
One more personal observation: VASSAL is relatively easy to use in modifying an existing module and saving it as newer version. I discovered that WinZip will fairly easily open the image folder of a VASSAL module and "all" you have to do is scroll through the images you want to delete/remove. Save frequently as WinZip (at least my trial copy) will periodically crash on you. The best thing is you don't have to know how to code to do any of this. So you don't have to bone up on your Java skills. Pretty impressive in my eyes.

Bob

davidk64 wrote:
I don't have the answers but would love to know what they are. Just to muddy the waters when you click on Panzer Leader in the list of Vassal mods you are redirected to the Panzer Blitz mod which apparently incorporates Panzer Leader. However you'll see in the Panzer Leader entry here on BGG that Craig Walters of DDD Designs has produced a new Panzer Leader mod but it's not hosted on Vassal due to size restrictions.

I have a copy of Panzer Blitz and hope to get into playing it PBEM using a Vassal mod one day! If you can garner advice on which mod that should be it would be much appreciated

I find it slightly ironic seeing such a plethora of Vassal mod options for this game when it's so hard to find somebody with the time and inclination to make the first mod for some other games I'd like to try. An example is Down with the King. I know I should do it myself but I'd rather play than code!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Kochan
msg tools
mb
Hello...

Much thanks for the info update and clarification.

Dennis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kilpatrick
Australia
flag msg tools
Yes thanks for the extra information Bob! Now I know you have posted asking questions and seeking answers so at the risk of being told to buzz off Are you able to say how the "PBEM" version 3.6 differs from the other "non PBEM" versions. The reason I ask is that I thought Vassal was inherently supportive of PBEM via it's logging functionality. So is there something else the developer of 3.6 has done above and beyond that native capability that makes PBEM easier to do? Also why do you emphasise the RAM aspect of the mods? Is the RAM requirement of any of the PB mods likely to be an issue on modern computers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McConnell
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David, I will not tell you to buzz off. Now as to how the 3.6 version is different from its predecessors in the PBEM realm, I cannot say as I have only read the notes regarding that. I think the expanded notes in the module go into some depth on the various incarnations of each version. Maybe I will peruse them and give you an update on this thread! RAM seems to be a limitation for VASSAL on their modules for download. Another "modder" (yes, Craig Walters) attempted to post his version of Panzer Leader as a module on VASSAL but apparently its size (over 70 Mb RAM) exceeded what VASSAL would allow. I don't know if that is true or not as it was third-hand information. I have not tested it out with mine yet as I am not close to finished. So caveat emptor (buyer beware)- VASSAL may not post your module if it is too large. Lastly, the larger modules don't load as quickly (surprise!), so you will be waiting for those maps and scenarios to tile and load and if they are .gif images you may want to go make a sandwich. LOL!

Bob

davidk64 wrote:
Yes thanks for the extra information Bob! Now I know you have posted asking questions and seeking answers so at the risk of being told to buzz off Are you able to say how the "PBEM" version 3.6 differs from the other "non PBEM" versions. The reason I ask is that I thought Vassal was inherently supportive of PBEM via it's logging functionality. So is there something else the developer of 3.6 has done above and beyond that native capability that makes PBEM easier to do? Also why do you emphasise the RAM aspect of the mods? Is the RAM requirement of any of the PB mods likely to be an issue on modern computers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McConnell
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teaser for VASSAL PanzerBlitz v.3.7: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/user/988147/voyager2lcat.... Check out this link. I have posted some recent counters for this game/module for German ground attack aircraft. They work really nicely in the game because you can right click on the counter to indicate 1. Dropping bombs, 2. Firing MGs, or 3. Firing cannon (if so armed), 4. All of the above!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McConnell
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, somewhat exciting news for me: I have uploaded my PanzerBlitz_3.7 module to the VASSAL PanzerBlitz module page!laugh VASSAL is moderating it now, so when/if it will post to the site is presently unknown to me. Keep your fingers crossed.

P.S. Update: PanzerBlitz 3.7 is awaiting moderator approval along with a big list of other submissions on VASSAL. So people are busy designing and submitting new games. Unfortunately, mine is "in the queue". No news other than that I am sorry to say.whistle

Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Plymale
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just noting always up for Vassal/Skype play. Email if interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Smith
msg tools
voyager2lcats wrote:
My criticism would be on the viewing size and lack of counter clarity even when zooming in. But I know why this is: larger counters and maps take up more RAM for the application.

This.

I find the fuzzy counters to be very unpleasant. :-( I wish I had time to experiment on improving them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McConnell
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kent, I completely agree with you. The .png graphics are supposed to work best with VASSAL, but even at 300 dpi (which is what mine are) they are still blurry when viewed close. I would have to try a few test counters to see how they look at higher resolutions (400, 500, 600 dpi). Obviously the drawback is file size increases, slowing down the application loading, but it might be worth it. Thank you for the observation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
voyager2lcats wrote:
Okay, somewhat exciting news for me: I have uploaded my PanzerBlitz_3.7 module to the VASSAL PanzerBlitz module page!laugh VASSAL is moderating it now, so when/if it will post to the site is presently unknown to me. Keep your fingers crossed.

P.S. Update: PanzerBlitz 3.7 is awaiting moderator approval along with a big list of other submissions on VASSAL. So people are busy designing and submitting new games. Unfortunately, mine is "in the queue". No news other than that I am sorry to say.whistle

Bob

So Bob,
I haven't heard yet. Was this ever accepted by the moderators?

You and I worked on it together at 1st, so I'm interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McConnell
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:

So Bob,
I haven't heard yet. Was this ever accepted by the moderators?

You and I worked on it together at 1st, so I'm interested.

Steve, I have not checked the VASSAL site recently, but I have received no contact as to whether the module was accepted or anything. I am going to contact one of the moderators via e-mail to solicit a response. I happen to really like it as the resolution of counters and maps are much larger than the original VASSAL modules for PanzerBlitz/Panzer Leader. But I am biased.:p

Try logging into VASSAL and download from here: http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/File:PanzerBlitz_3.7.vmod

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McConnell
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I can confirm something about my VASSAL PanzerBlitz 3.7 module. Go to this URL and you can download it from VASSAL: http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/File:PanzerBlitz_3.7.vmod. Just copy and paste the above internet address into your web browser and it should take you to my contribution on VASSAL. You don't have to login- just click on the .vmod and copy to your hard drive.
It isn't on the PanzerBlitz module, but I don't care. If you want to access it and post your reviews/comments about it on here, then by all means do so. If you have any questions about it, log on here and post your questions. I will try to give you a timely response.;)

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
To copy the URL you maybe should quote it and copy that or it may send you there when you highlight it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McConnell
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:
To copy the URL you maybe should quote it and copy that or it may send you there when you highlight it.

Steve, did it work? Did you download it? Thirdly, did you like it?;) P.S. I am repasting the VASSAL link: "http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/File:PanzerBlitz_3.7.vmod"
Once the page loads to your browser, click on hyperlink under the Date/Time column:
"01:07, 17 October 2016" (yes, it is a link). It will then give you a pop-up asking if you want to open or save the download. You can save to your computer at that point. My apologies, as I did not know this convoluted route was going to be my fate. :-(

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.