Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jeff hall
United States
mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a 5 player game we are setting up, one player has played the rest are new. We are all going to watch the video ahead of time, but how much time should we add on since we are new? Can you get through the full game in two 8 hour days?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krister Dahlgren
Sweden
Gävle
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You might manage it if you really press on toward the end of the game and absolutely skip the cadenced progress rules. I have played a five player game in 12 hours more or less straight but I can't really recommend it (you will need food and rest ).

The length of the game and how it is integrated into the game's mechanics is IMO one of the major flaws with 7 Ages. There are 49(!) spaces on the turn track but most games will last many more turns. This is because the game does not always progress unless the players actively make it so by performing the Trade&Progress action which is (most of the time) a very weak action. It is possible to be stuck in a dark age forever.

This has the effect that a player in a strong position with high-scoring empires has no incentive at all to progress the game into a later age where new and stronger empires can compete with his then older empires. This further slows down the game's progress. This also means that the players in the weaker positions have to more or less waste actions to advance the game into the next age.

Furthermore, since the end of the game is usually triggered by an empire advancing off the turn track, this means that once a clear leader emerges in the game, that player can speed up the end of the game by rapid play of the Trade&Progress action. Once this is set in motion, all other players must come together to attack the Trading empire. I find that this is a very unpleasant mechanic that also means that most of the chrome in the 7th age (many new units, aircrafts, nukes, lots of blue artifacts) never see any play because one player is simply rushing through the last age.

These complaints aside, I hope you have a great time with the game, 7 Ages usually produces many interesting situations that are worth remembering. A personal favorite of mine was when a player Christianized his Persians in Age 5 (since they gain Islamic Glory, this seemed kinda odd) and then progressed to play the New World event and take control of a lot of empty wheat areas in North America. They went on to score a ridiculous amount of Glory.

*Warning! Shameless self-promotion ahead!*

Feel free to check out my total remake of 7 Ages, History of Civilizations! It is unfortunately only available as an unwieldy large PnP game at this time but you could easily play one 5 player game to completion in a single day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kadavriak wrote:
*Warning! Shameless self-promotion ahead!*

Feel free to check out my total remake of 7 Ages, History of Civilizations! It is unfortunately only available as an unwieldy large PnP game at this time but you could easily play one 5 player game to completion in a single day!

Do you know if Andrew Tullsen of Print and Play games has ever put together a copy of your game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff hall
United States
mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the response. We will just plan 2 with the thought we will need additional time after those two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Turner
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually just play to a time limit. IMHO you need at least 6 hours for a good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krister Dahlgren
Sweden
Gävle
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
seppo21 wrote:

Do you know if Andrew Tullsen of Print and Play games has ever put together a copy of your game?

Not that I'm aware of!

I don't want to hijack the thread, but in relation to your question, I have been looking at services like thegamecrafter.com to take the game one step above a PnP game, but for the price to be reasonable it would have to be produced in batches of 100 or so. This means that it would probably take a Kickstarter or similar campaign to get going. Before going there, the game will have to be more extensively playtested.

So, right now, the PnP version is the only one available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.