Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Was able to get some promo cards at Gen Con...

The Matriarch - (Re-roll a threat roll if game is at stake)
The Defender - (Re-roll threat roll if Hostage would be killed)
The Negotiator - (Pay 2 conversation to ignore all stop conversation icons for current turn)

All three cards seem to have only a one-time action that makes the game easier, yet without any cost or ramification for taking the action.

Am I missing something, or are these cards intended to be only a one-time use benefit for each game, without any downside? Or, IOW, are they intended only to help make the game a bit easier?

Also, how are they picked? By choice? Random?

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are "negotiator cards". They do indeed provide a one-time benefit during the game. You can choose one at the beginning of the game or select randomly. There are actually two different packs of these available through the KS (and through the BGG store sometimes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Reverend,

Thanks. So their only design goal was to serve as a mechanism to make the game a bit easier? OK, I'm fine with that.

But I'd think that the wording which is printed on each of the cards could've been just as easily printed in the back of the rulebook, under the heading: "Ways to make the Game Easier".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Reverend,

Thanks. So their only design goal was to serve as a mechanism to make the game a bit easier? OK, I'm fine with that.

But I'd think that the wording which is printed on each of the cards could've been just as easily printed in the back of the rulebook, under the heading: "Ways to make the Game Easier".

True. They did make a full pack of those cards for each "season" though. For the initial release of Hostage Negotiator they made 10 of them, and for the new "crime wave" they are making another 10.

There is at least one for each season that makes things tougher too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.