$30.00
$5.00
$20.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: NPC ships and Using Pirate & Bounty Hunters for Solo Play by The Rev rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been working on and playtesting these solo rules for the last few weeks. They allow the use of NPC ships as both a replacement timer (with some unpredictability) and a target/source of piracy.

I recommend using at least two of the basic fireflies, and the Interceptor if using bounties. This has been playtested using the Blue Sun and Pirates & Bounty Hunters expansions, but should work with other expansions included too. I have been play-testing them with Jude's Solo House Rules method of setting-up.

These are a work in progress, by posting them I am hoping others will try them out and give me some feedback on how it works for them and any rule questions. The goal, eventually, is to refine these and post a pdf to the files section.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions.

I recommend using the "Awful Crowded in My Sky" set-up card from Blue Sun for the best experience. NPC ships do not trigger reaver/alliance tokens.

There will eventually be smaller ship cards to print out, but for now I have been using the ship boards from the game. I place the currently active job face-up on the card, and completed jobs face down next to it. I have been tracking VPs by placing disgruntled tokens onto the ship board.

=========================================

Set-up:

Place the chosen NPC ships and their Haven token in their assigned starting location (see below).

Blue ship:
- Starting location: Lord Harrow
- Special Rules: +1 VP for every two completed moral and/or legal jobs. Cannot take Niska Jobs.

Yellow ship:
- Starting location: Niska
- Special Rules: When drawing a job card, draw two and pick the closest, place the other one in the contacts discard pile.

Green ship:
- Starting location: Badger
- Special Rules: +1 VP for every three completed illegal jobs. Cannot take Harken Jobs.

Orange ship:
- Starting location: Patience
- Special Rules: When a 6 is rolled for movement, immediately move ship to Haven token regardless of distance

Interceptor ship:
- Starting location: Silverhold
- Special Rules: See Interceptor Work Action

Player turn:

Solo player can take each of the four possible actions once per turn in any order.

When executing a pirate job or attempting to take a bounty on an NPC:

- All NPC showdown/boarding rolls are d6+(current VPs).
- NPCs are considered to have one fuel, one cargo, one contraband and $100 per VP for pirating purposes (i.e. if at 3 VPs, ship would have 3 fuel, 3 cargo, 3 contraband and $300 available to steal)
- If you are able to take jobs from the NPC due to your piracy card, you can take a number of facedown cards from the top of each contact deck equal to the number of successfully completed jobs by the NPC from those decks (i.e. if they have completed one Niska and two Patience jobs, you could take one card from the top of the Niska deck and two from the Patience deck, up to 3 jobs or the limit on your piracy job card).
- After a successful Piracy job against an NPC, you can forgo taking any fuel/goods/contraband/$/jobs from the NPC and instead choose to remove one VP token from it.
- After a successful Bounty capture from an NPC ship, that NPC ships Haven token will attach to your ship.

All other player rules remain the same.

NPC Turn:

Roll a d6 for each NPC ship.

Each ship, in turn, will first do a work action, if possible, then move.

Work Action (for Interceptor Work Actions see below):

- If the NPC is not in the same location as its haven token it will not take a work action and will skip to the Move Action segment of its turn.

- If the NPC is in the same location as its Haven token:

a) If on the first location of a two locations job, it will move its haven token to the second location indicated on the job card
b) If on the second location of a two location job, or on the first location of a single location job, it will take one VP, move the job card to its completed jobs pile, then move its Haven token to the nearest contact that ship is eligble to visit.
c) If on the location of a contact and NPC has no active job, it will draw the top card of the job deck, place it in the "current job" section and move its Haven token to the first location on the job card. This can result in the Haven token remaining in its current space if the first location of the job is the same location as the contact.

Move Action:

NPCs do not draw Nav Cards!

All NPCs will move a number of spaces up to their d6 roll towards their Haven token, stopping when they reach it. If they are already on their Haven token (which should only happen with job acquired this turn that has its first location as the contacts location where they drew their card) they do not move and do not do another work action.

NPC Piracy:

If the NPC draws a Piracy job, this is equivalent to a single location job, and that location is the player's ship. Place the NPCs Haven token on the same space as the player's ship. This Haven token will follow the player's ship until the Piracy job is attempted.

The NPC ship will continue to move towards the player's ship each Move Action using the regular NPC movement rules until it reaches it.

Upon reaching the player's ship the NPC will immediately attempt to board (even if it has already passed the Work Action segment of its turn and even if it has already done a work action). All boarding and showdown rolls for the NCP equal a d6 roll+(current VP). If successful at both boarding and showdown, the NPC will take 1 VP and then remove a number of "goods" from your ship as indicated on the piracy job card. It will take these goods in the following order, first all fuel, then all contraband, then all cargo, stopping when it has reached the maximum number of goods it is allowed to take. These goods are discarded. If the NPCs piracy card allows it to take inactive jobs instead, your hand of inactive jobs will be discarded from the game.

If the NPC fails either the boarding or showdown roll, the piracy job card is discarded and its Haven token is moved to the closest contact.

NPC Bounties:

Only the Interceptor NPC interacts with bounties. If playing with the Interceptor, when laying out the initial 3 wanted cards, find the left-most individual target (ignore Cortex Alerts) from the wanted cards in its appropriate supply deck and place it face up in the discard pile of the deck it is found in. If no non-Cortex Alert bounties are available in the 3 "wanted" cards displayed, discard the leftmost card and deal a new one from the top of the deck. Continue to do this until a non-Cortex Alert bounty is displayed then find and reveal the target card as above

The Interceptor will place its Haven token on the location of this bounty and will then follow the usual move action rules.

Interceptor Work Action:

If the Interceptor starts its turn on its Haven token that is not on a player ship, and it doesn't have a bounty, it will automatically acquire the bounty in that location and will move its Haven token to the destination for delivering the bounty.

If the Interceptor is on its Haven token that is on a player ship at any point in its turn (even if it has already done a work action), and it doesn't have a bounty, it will make a boarding and then showdown roll (both = d6+(current VPs)). If it wins both rolls it takes the bounty and moves its Haven token to the bounty delivery destination. If it fails either roll, shuffle the targeted crew wanted card back into the bounty deck and draw a replacement. Then the Interceptor will move its Haven token to the next available bounty. If none are available (other than the players bounty), reveal the left-most target (ignoring Cortex Alerts) from the wanted cards in the discard pile of its supply deck and move the Interceptors Haven token to that supply location. If no non-Cortex Alert bounties are available in the 3 "wanted" cards displayed, discard the leftmost card and deal a new one from the top of the deck. Continue to do this until a non-Cortex Alert bounty is displayed then reveal the target/move the Haven token as above.

If the Interceptor starts the turn on its Haven token and it does have a bounty, it will discard that bounty and take a VP. Then if any other bounties are available (even on a player ship) it will place its Haven token where the bounty is. Tiebreaker is the left-most bounty in the wanted cards. If no bounties are currently available, it will search the appropriate supply deck for the left-most bounty in the wanted cards and place it face up in the discard pile for that deck. It will then move its Haven token to that supply location. If no non-Cortex Alert bounties are available in the 3 "wanted" cards displayed, discard the leftmost card and deal a new one from the top of the deck. Continue to do this until a non-Cortex Alert bounty is displayed then reveal the target/move the Haven token as above.

Interceptor Move Action:

Same as other ships.

Game End:

Game ends when an NPC ship reaches: Very Hard 5 VP - Hard 6 VP - Easy 7 VP - Very Easy 9 VP

Additional Notes:

Any gear or crew that limit or penalize opponent showdown/boarding rolls now reduce NPC showdown/boarding rolls by a -2 penalty instead of their written text.

Haven tokens that are placed on Player ships or the Alliance Cruiser will follow that ship as it moves.

If an NPC starts its turn in the same space as a Reaver ship, it will lose 1 VP.

Nav cards that allow the "player to your left" to move a Reaver one space, will move the Reaver that is closest to the Player one space closer to the player.

Nav cards that allow the "player to your left" to move a Reaver to the player's space or an adjacent space will move the Reaver that is furthest from the Player's ship to the indicated location (if adjacent place it in the direction you are traveling).

Nav cards that allow the player to move a Reaver ship one space will only allow them to move the closest Reaver.

Nav cards that allow the player to move a Reaver more than one space will only allow them to move the furthest Reaver.

NPC ships do not trigger reaver/alliance tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Bocook
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Re: WIP - NPC ships and Using Pirate & Bounty Hunters for Solo Play by The Rev
This looks fun. I only have the base game right now, but I think I'll try to fiddle around with this the next time I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Miller
msg tools
Argh, you piped me to the post with putting up my own set of rules, but I'm glad to see other people putting thought into doing this though.

I'm wondering what the effects of working first has? Mine move first, then work. Probably just timing.

Using the VP to increase strength, and as a game timer intrigues me. Does the timing feel consistent? Do they reach 5 VP generally at the same time each game? With enough of them running you should get an average Turn to VP ratio, compensating for some of the longer jobs.

Rolling for move distance adds a dynamic feel like they got caught by bad nav cards, but does it make playing them all tedious? I'm not a fan of rolling dice so maybe roll once for all, or use set speeds per ship?

I think you got some interesting rules here, can't wait to show you my interpretation (just waiting for BGG file upload approval). Hopefully we can borrow from each other and have the best system ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
NPCs are considered to have one fuel, one good, one contraband and $100 per VP for pirating purposes (i.e. if at 3 VPs, ship would have 3 fuel, 3 goods, 3 contraband and $300 available to steal)

By "goods", do you mean Cargo?
According to the rules, "goods" refers to any of the following: Cargo, Contraband, Fuel, Parts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
reverendunclebastard wrote:
NPCs are considered to have one fuel, one good, one contraband and $100 per VP for pirating purposes (i.e. if at 3 VPs, ship would have 3 fuel, 3 goods, 3 contraband and $300 available to steal)

By "goods", do you mean Cargo?
According to the rules, "goods" refers to any of the following: Cargo, Contraband, Fuel, Parts

Yes! Great catch thank you. I will change that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please note, I have corrected an important rule. The solo player can take all four actions once each turn, in any order (removed the limitation that you must fly first).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TuffLuck wrote:
Argh, you piped me to the post with putting up my own set of rules, but I'm glad to see other people putting thought into doing this though.

I'm wondering what the effects of working first has? Mine move first, then work. Probably just timing.

Using the VP to increase strength, and as a game timer intrigues me. Does the timing feel consistent? Do they reach 5 VP generally at the same time each game? With enough of them running you should get an average Turn to VP ratio, compensating for some of the longer jobs.

Rolling for move distance adds a dynamic feel like they got caught by bad nav cards, but does it make playing them all tedious? I'm not a fan of rolling dice so maybe roll once for all, or use set speeds per ship?

I think you got some interesting rules here, can't wait to show you my interpretation (just waiting for BGG file upload approval). Hopefully we can borrow from each other and have the best system ever.

I took a look at your rules. Nice Work!

Our rules differ quite a bit, since my NPC ships don't draw Nav/Misbehave/Supply cards, don't roll for misbehaves on jobs, don't shop, and don't need to track anything but VPs they will be much faster to operate. However, yours will behave much more like another player and will churn the decks much better. I think yours will definitely work better in a multiplayer setting where a few players can contribute to the work of executing the PE actions. I wanted to design mine so that a solo player could easily operate 3 or 4 NPC ships without taking too much time or focus away from them playing their own ship.

Again nice work. I am looking forward to trying your rules out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like what you've done. I like that you've simulated other Crews.

I took a slightly different approach, with the idea that there are other ships out there with other roles (eg, Merchant, Pirate, Bounty Hunter). If you're interested:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1574815/npc-ship-deck-s...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1340077/merchant-ships
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
I like what you've done. I like that you've simulated other Crews.

I took a slightly different approach, with the idea that there are other ships out there with other roles (eg, Merchant, Pirate, Bounty Hunter). If you're interested:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1574815/npc-ship-deck-s...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1340077/merchant-ships

Thanks!

I will definitely check out those threads.

I tried to keep the feel of an ever improving ship/crew with the NPCs without having to track a ton of stuff. The VP idea was the key. This way the NPCs get better rolls for showdown and more stuff to steal as the game goes on without having to track a ton of separate stuff. I have played a bunch of playtests using 3 NPC fireflies and the Interceptor, and even running those 4 NPCs takes just over a minute or so per turn. Adds about 30 minutes to a solo game but I found it well worth it to get the extra excitement of piracy and bounty jumping in the solo game. And I finally get to roll a handful of the coloured ship dice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I didn't call them VPs, but some of my ideas used similar things, where Merchant Ships get more powerful as the hit more planets and the Bounty Hunter gets tougher as he claims more Bounties.

I think my Merchant Ships, at least, are something of a simplification of your ideas: instead of drawing jobs, they just move from Supply Planet to Supply Planet, getting more powerful as they "trade." Not saying simpler is better, just drawing one of the distinctions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
I didn't call them VPs, but some of my ideas used similar things, where Merchant Ships get more powerful as the hit more planets and the Bounty Hunter gets tougher as he claims more Bounties.

I think my Merchant Ships, at least, are something of a simplification of your ideas: instead of drawing jobs, they just move from Supply Planet to Supply Planet, getting more powerful as they "trade." Not saying simpler is better, just drawing one of the distinctions.

As a general rule I actually do think simpler is better!

I actually considered something along the lines of your merchant ships, but in the end I wanted a single set of rules for the "general ships" to make it easier to add new ships (I still need to figure out the Walden's special ability/contact limitations). Given that I was giving special rules to the Interceptor I wanted to keep the rest of the ships consistent except for their special rules.

I read through your Merchant Ships thread and it looks great. Well designed simple rules, well done. I think the mistake many people make when trying to develop AIs is requiring way too much information for players to track.

As a primarily solo player, I want any NPCs in games I play to work effectively while minimizing the work I need to do to execute them. I made a few sacrifices in my rules for the sake of simplicity. Originally they were tracking the amount of goods they had so that if they were pirated it would take a while for them to build back up again. However, given the relative rarity of piracy jobs and how much fiddliness it added vs. just having the current VP level reflect their goods no matter what, the extra "realism" just wasn't worth the extra effort for the player to maintain. I ditched the fuel/cargo/contraband/parts tracking entirely and the NPCs became a degree of magnitude easier to operate. Now they just have an active job, a pile of completed jobs and a stack of disgruntled tokens to represent their VPs. Simple.

Diving into your other thread now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Miller
msg tools
I think we all agree a simple fast AI is the way to go. and I get the feeling we're all Solo players trying to fill our boards a bit more. It's fascinating how we've come up with three different ways to go about it.

We all wanted Pirating to be more relevant for Solo players, which just needed ships on the board with cargo really.

You wanted to get Bounties involved, which I'm liking. I Just haven't played enough Multiplayer to know how often, exciting, rewarding bounty jumping is for players, so I left it out for now. But I do think its a missing part of my rules. Wanted crew are missing that extra risk when playing solo, and the whole aim of my rules was to bring the multiplayer to the single player.

I've set up the board to play with your rules, but ran out of time to start playing, hopefully this weekend.

BTW - My P.E. Ships don't roll for misbehaves (or any other tests). I just wanted them drawing through the decks, so they auto pass everything. Just roll for boarding and showdowns with human players only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Bocook
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I've actually never played solo, but I am going to toy with this to work as an alternate timer; the games tend to go overly long sometimes, so if we're racing a countdown, we might hustle a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Miller
msg tools
I gave the rules a shot on the weekend, but had really bad luck at drawing cards. In the first 5 turns I managed to have the Alliance cruiser take my contraband, the corvette take my wanted crew and I just finished moseying into an alert token and calling a Reaver down on me :-(

Suffice it to say, I lost interest in seeing the end of this game, fighting the urge to reset.

Comments on your rules (I ran Yellow Blue Orange and Interceptor)

The special ship rules were hard to remember while playing. I imagine special ship cards may help with this, but I ended up forgetting them most turns.

The working first, then moving felt weird to me because I've been playing my AI the other way round. Maybe it was because rolling for movement came before work in your rules (Roll-->work-->move), that it threw me off a bit. I might switch it for the rest of my disastrous game and see if it has any real effect.

The Bounty Hunting Interceptor got lucky with two close by bounties. So he seemed a little powerful in my game. Too early to tell really. I did like that the bounties were being used, and he reminded me to check who has bounties more often than I do in my regular games.

Rolling for move distance actually worked out pretty good, and might just show up in my rules. It adds that randomness to move distance that human players experience.

I found they play at about the same speed as my rules, but that might be because I know mine so well, and was fumbling a bit with yours.

I'm interested if anyone else had a go of these (or other AI) rules. Are they improving peoples games or making them excessively complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TuffLuck wrote:
I gave the rules a shot on the weekend

Thanks for the feedback! I am doing a few more playtests this week (after I play a few more games of my newly acquired Mansions of Madness), and will definitely incorporate your feedback when I am considering changes to the rules.

I found over a bunch of plays, the Interceptor wasn't any faster at reaching VPs than the rest of the ships, on average anyway. It is the easiest ship to slow down if it does get a head start though, you can grab a bounty from it without even needing a piracy job!

Hoping to check out your rules next week after I am done playtesting mine.

Cheers, and thanks again for the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Inspired by this discussion, I tried a revamp of my own house rules for NPC Merchants and Bounty Hunter over the weekend. The rules worked just fine... but ultimately seemed somewhat pointless because there was no real interaction with them.

I may post my rules at some point, but I don't want to interrupt the flow of this thread. However, my question to you guys is, how much interaction do you find between the NPCs and the PC?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Inspired by this discussion, I tried a revamp of my own house rules for NPC Merchants and Bounty Hunter over the weekend. The rules worked just fine... but ultimately seemed somewhat pointless because there was no real interaction with them.

I may post my rules at some point, but I don't want to interrupt the flow of this thread. However, my question to you guys is, how much interaction do you find between the NPCs and the PC?

Post your rules anytime! This thread is pretty open-ended. In my last playtest I pirated one NPC and two NPCs attempted to pirate me. I also raced one NPC to Silverhold and hired Jayne before he could be picked up as a bounty. The NPC attempted to steal the bounty from me, but failed.

I find with my rules there are definitely interactions between the player and the NPC. Anytime an NPC draws a piracy job, they will attempt to board your ship and pirate you. Also if using the Interceptor NPC, the 3 wanted cards rotate pretty quickly and it is pretty easy to find yourself the target of an attempted bounty jump.

Also, there are at least one or two opportunites a game as a player to use piracy against an NPC, since you can attempt it anytime you draw a piracy card.

All in all I am pretty happy with the amount of player-NPC interaction with my variant. Plus the timing of VP accumulation to drive the end-game is working well too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Miller
msg tools
It was ages ago since I was trying out Gwek's rules, but I think it was that lack of interaction that made me start throwing extra rules onto his. This sort of evolved into My P.E. Ships.

Piracy happens for me about the same as Reverend's rules. We cycle through job cards pretty quickly, helped along by having more AI.

Bounty Jumping doesn't happen for my rules, You can board and bounty jump them, but they don't hunt my wanted crew....yet.

Indirectly, they are my player to the right for navigation cards, so sometimes I move ships for their advantage rather than my detriment. I'd move a reaver off the AI ships destination rather than into my destination for instance. I try to roll play my AI when possible.

Card drawing and discarding helps stir everything up, and claiming cards is a form of interaction through denial. Certain cards become unavailable as if claimed by other players.

It's the final question for any rules we come up with. Does this add anything to My Game? We all draw the line at different places. I'm not sure why I bother with having the AI re-acquire stolen goods from contacts. It adds nothing to my game except a reminder of which contact supplies what goods. It just felt wrong having them complete the job as if nothing happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coxon
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for sharing this with the community. It seems like an interesting approach to making P&BH play well in solo games with as little overhead as possible. I'm very anxious to try it out.

One suggestion I can think of right off: Although you've taken great pains to make each NPC ship unique, it feels like the individual ship rules are a lot to keep track of and it might make sense to simplify the firefly class ships to share the same behavior as one another while keeping the interceptor unique.

I did have a few questions I was hoping you could clarify:

1. Under NPC turn, why is it necessary to specify what order the NPC ships complete their actions? Wouldn't it be simpler to have them use whichever order allows them to do something at their haven marker in the fastest means possible? I think this could also simplify other sections in your rules where you previously had to give NPC's an extra action to interact with a player's ship.

2. Under Move action, do you allow NPC ships to enter the same sector as the alliance cruiser, operative's corvette, or reaver cutter? I don't see anything mentioned one way or the other.

3. Under NPC piracy, you use the phrase "discarded from the game." However, "discarded" and "from the game" mean two different things for Firefly. Did you simply mean "discarded" (as in moving the jobs to their appropriate discard piles), or did you mean "removed" from the game?

4. Under Interceptor Work Action, if a player reaches a supply planet which has a haven token for the interceptor, and they take the wanted fugitive through purchase or showdown, does the haven marker move to the players ship? I don't see any rule covering this scenario.

5. Under Additional notes, is there really a necessity to limit the use of nav cards that allow the player to move the reaver ship? I don't favor limiting the player's actions on their own turn if it at all can be avoided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soltaris wrote:

1. Under NPC turn, why is it necessary to specify what order the NPC ships complete their actions? Wouldn't it be simpler to have them use whichever order allows them to do something at their haven marker in the fastest means possible? I think this could also simplify other sections in your rules where you previously had to give NPC's an extra action to interact with a player's ship.

This is necessary for the pacing of the accumulation of VPs for the end game timer. It mitigates getting "closer" jobs to a degree. Without this order it was tough to get consistent timing of the VP benchmarks to end the game.

Soltaris wrote:

2. Under Move action, do you allow NPC ships to enter the same sector as the alliance cruiser, operative's corvette, or reaver cutter? I don't see anything mentioned one way or the other.

Yes, I didn't mention it because there is no restriction. I can clarify that though.

Soltaris wrote:

3. Under NPC piracy, you use the phrase "discarded from the game." However, "discarded" and "from the game" mean two different things for Firefly. Did you simply mean "discarded" (as in moving the jobs to their appropriate discard piles), or did you mean "removed" from the game?

I meant removed from the game.

Soltaris wrote:

4. Under Interceptor Work Action, if a player reaches a supply planet which has a haven token for the interceptor, and they take the wanted fugitive through purchase or showdown, does the haven marker move to the players ship? I don't see any rule covering this scenario.

Yes it does. I will adjust the rules to clarify that.

Soltaris wrote:

5. Under Additional notes, is there really a necessity to limit the use of nav cards that allow the player to move the reaver ship? I don't favor limiting the player's actions on their own turn if it at all can be avoided.

Any of these rules can be used/not used by players, however, when playing solo it is way too easy to manipulate the Reavers so they are no threat at all. These simple rules are a way to make sure that the solo player faces a Reaver threat during the game. However, if you don't like them feel free to skip them.

Thanks a lot for checking out the rules. Hope you enjoy playing with them and feel free to drop by with more feedback any time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soltaris wrote:

One suggestion I can think of right off: Although you've taken great pains to make each NPC ship unique, it feels like the individual ship rules are a lot to keep track of and it might make sense to simplify the firefly class ships to share the same behavior as one another while keeping the interceptor unique.

I found these rules were a simple way to prevent all of the NPC ships from locking into a similar circuit around the board. Once I have the ship cards ready these should become easy to remember. I found that after a few plays they all became second nature. If you don't like the small amount of extra work though, feel free to use the Orange ship's rules for all of them, it is the easiest to remember!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coxon
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for your gracious replies. I'm hoping to give this a shot this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.