BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Cost effective shipping for big box games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kite Runner
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
For standard sized games, medium flat rate shipping for $14 seems to be an often recommended option. In my case, however, I may need to ship a big box game (Escape: The Curse of the Temple – Big Box specifically) from the East to the West coast.

Does anyone have any advice for how to do this most cost effectively? Any advice/tips you have are much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just pack the game well in an oversized box with plenty of padding and ship it USPS retail ground.

I just shipped a Carcassonne Big Box and it cost me $20.33 - weighed 8.2 lbs.

Priority rates were 23 to 47.......

Shipping is expensive and lots of people don't realize it, because they expect free shipping from retailers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Webster
United States
PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why I advertise my used games for sale when I am going to be at a con or visiting a big city

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may wish to investigate the dimensions of the large flat rate boxes... there is the standard square one, but there is also the "game box" size that you can order online via USPS. It will fit two TTR-sized games side by side (without much padding, but to give you an idea of the dimensions).

For the east coast to west coast, for small things, a Regional A is cheapest (regional rate postage can be printed at usps.com)

For other priority mail, use paypal.com/shipnow for the discount (like medium or large flat rate, or non-flat rate dimensions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found Fedex almost always cheaper than USPS when shipping non-flat rate boxes (and sometimes cheaper, even then). Just set up an account at Fedex, put in the shipping info, and you will get several rates depending on shipping time and type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kite Runner
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Thanks all! This is exactly the kind of info I needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.