GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,666 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Thief's Market» Forums » General

Subject: Number of dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really a question, just something I'm curious about.

With 3/4/5 players you use 10/11/13 dice. With the start-player marker, that makes 11/12/14 objects to share out each round.

This means that at four players, there's an obvious 'fair' distribution of three items each, whereas at any other player count, you can't divide stuff up equally.

Now clearly all items aren't equal, and we certainly didn't end up splitting the loot three-each every time, but it seems an odd design decision to have a loot pile that only divides evenly at one player count. Especially when you could easily use 12 dice with four players instead.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There are actually a couple more things to consider when looking at it - To begin with, the start marker is not exactly equal to your average dice object. Dice provide your real "unit" for the game, and so the dice quantities intentionally don't split evenly at any player count, and then the start player provides opportunity rather than strength.

The fact that different faces are worth more/less at different times also muddies the waters in an interesting way (for example, mask faces are worth less and less the further into the game you go; and obviously which cards are available affects dice values for that round).

That there is never an exact 1:1 valuation on the objects during splitting is one of the most appealing attributes, IMO. You sort of have to figure out how to maneuver the "compromise" of uneven values in your favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I get that the values are different depending on the market and player abilities, and the split is still interesting. We had early rounds where there were dice that were literally worthless, and in the last round all I wanted was the start-player marker to get the second treasure map, and anything else was a bonus.

Just seemed weird that early on, before people had many cards, it was so easy for people to just take three each, and anyone taking four would get stolen from. Maybe we just had unusual rolls; I can certainly see situations where the fourth player would rather steal two than take the three leftovers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.