$30.00
$20.00
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During purchases, Parasites are supposed to spend the catalysts in their Host's tableau. The rules make this point in a few places. However, the Gene Transfer Agents rule allows a Parasite player to donate Catalysts to the tableau of the Host player at any time. This tells me that when time comes for the Parasite to make a purchase, he can simply transfer any Catalysts in his home tableau to his Host's tableau to enable purchases that might not otherwise be possible.

I suppose this is by design, but I think it may as well be understood then that Parasites can actually spend Catalysts from their Host and their home tableaux (yeah, I had to look up the plural form) at purchase time.

And, incidentally, this means a Hyperparasite has a disadvantage (as compared to a Parasite) if in its home tableau , since it can only spend from the one pool (host and home are the same).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gene Transfer Agent rule was added for simulation purposes. It seemed in the nature of parasites that they can draw on their own resources as well as those of their host. This makes parasites more robust. That said, I haven't actually seen players make use of this rule, preferring instead to save their catalysts for their bacteria and other non-parasitic organisms. I am interested to see how this rule plays out in player's experience. Incidentally, I got the first production copy from China, and it looks great. I gave my approval, so they should be cranking them out soon, and then a month and a half journey by ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mbmbmb
Yup. I've given catalysts to my host in order for it to go Macro (and those precious, precious VPs), but for the most part, greed plays a large part of the evolution game. Catalysts are precious, and though you'll have a rare game where manna seems to fall from the sky, other times you'll pray for a nucleus so you can stop spending 2 per mutation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Card
United Kingdom
Didcot
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mb
The example under the Gene Transfer Agent bullet point has a yellow player Foreign Gene spending its own own catalyst to buy a macroorganism. Does this imply that foreign genes, and presumably endodymionts, are covered by the Gene Transfer rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.