Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin
Australia
Terrey Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi

I was put onto this AusPost ShopMate service as a way of shipping items cheaply from the US to Australia. I used it for the first time and was extremely disappointed by how expensive this service turned out to be on my first usage, and will definitely not be using it again.

Before using this service, please be aware that the shipping charge is based on cubic weight, not actual weight. This was an oversight on my part. So unless you know not just the weight, but also the exact dimensions of the actual shipping box, then please proceed with caution.

Just trying to avoid somebody else falling into the same trap as I just did!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is definitely not, nor is it ever likely to be, a "cheap" option. However, when some US sellers only offer shipping to the US (or worse, the continental states) not because of any kind of customs issues but because they just don't want to deal with all the fun of international shipping, then it is a way to get things not available here. But yes, make sure you know the "cubic weight" of the item being shipped, because if you're buying games where the box is more air than component it's likely you'll be charged on that basis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
They had a discount sale last year (November?) that made the prices OK. I don't know if they'll do it again.

The thing that has irritated me is that 3:3 of my deliveries have been delayed by customs, and on each occasion I have needed to show invoices to demonstrate that I don't owe duty. It adds another ten days to the delivery time, and the packages arrive "preopened".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been using Shipito (https://www.shipito.com/) for years, previously it started when USD/AUD was in parity so used it all the time for Amazon, now I use it for big bulk boardgame purchases. I can definitely vouch for them, they get great rates for Fedex/DHL and are great on communication.

One thing to note is every international shipping service works off cubic weight, easiest method I've used for calculating possible cubic weight is using Amazon just to check dimensions/weight because they display it for all items in the product description
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
Australia
Bunbury
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I regulardly use shipito, but recently my items have been arriving damaged due to poor consolidations.

I'm currently fighting with them because they sent a big bunch of games to me loose in a box without the extra bubble wrap and without the fragile sticker that I paid for.

Mansions of Madness and Codenames Pictures arrived with their boxes trashed.

Shipito is currently refusing to pay insurance because it "doesn't cover retail packaging"; however, I don't think you can regard a game box as "retail packaging" - it's not designed to be thrown away. The retail packaging of a game is the plastic wrap it comes coated in.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.