Hide
6 Posts

Amun-Re» Forums » General

Subject: Any opinions on the new edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos López
msg tools
Hey folks. Just like the title says, I'd like to hear (or read) opinions and comparisons between the old version and the Super Meeple edition. Obviously the new one has better components, but the price is also way higher. Usually I'm not crazy about super deluxe components, so I'm wondering if it would be worth its cost for me.

Has anybody tried both, or at least, the new one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HJ Lee
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
I have both editions. The Super Meeple edition is exactly the same game. There is one new optional rule (the "expert rule"), which is meant for less than 5 players. That rule can be played in the Rio Grande version as well.
The art work of the Super Meeple version is generally better, but it is really about having the resin pyramids and stones.

If you can get the old Rio grande edition (it is out of print), it might run ~$30 USD. I got the Super Meeple for 40 euro on pre-order from Philiberts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Vierimaa
Finland
Oulu
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
What is the expert rule? I have french edition and my french is rather rusty.

I also have both versions and we enjoy the new one although nothing wrong with the old one.

After playing this weekly more than ten years, we really love it. We use only one house rule: if more than one player has largest pyramid, they get 4 points instead of normal five.

I see only only one weakness in this game, bidding jump card is way too weak compared to other cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matias wrote:

This rule is recommended only for 3 or 4 players and allows tactical control of when Provinces are available.
1*. CHOOSE WHICH PROVINCES ARE AUCTIONED
At the start of the game after shuffling the Province deck, deal 3 Province cards to each player. Put the others in the box without looking at them.
Players keep these cards secret from each other. At the beginning of each turn, each player chooses one Province card, then the chosen cards are all revealed simultaneously. These are the Provinces that are available at the auction this Round.
At the beginning of the New Kingdom, the Provinces cards that were played during the Old Kingdom are shuffled and redistributed equally to players.

Matias wrote:
bidding jump card is way too weak compared to other cards.

Not if used strategically. They are generally best in the final round of each era. Say there's a province that could potentially make someone 20 money. Bid 10 for it, and throw down that card. If someone bids 21, you're lowering their score. If no one outbids you, you can make that profit.

Alternately, you see another player clearly needs that province. Throw a 3 or 6 bid on it and throw down that card to force them to pay 10 or 15 on it.

Very useful card in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philcampeau wrote:
Matias wrote:

This rule is recommended only for 3 or 4 players and allows tactical control of when Provinces are available.
1*. CHOOSE WHICH PROVINCES ARE AUCTIONED
At the start of the game after shuffling the Province deck, deal 3 Province cards to each player. Put the others in the box without looking at them.
Players keep these cards secret from each other. At the beginning of each turn, each player chooses one Province card, then the chosen cards are all revealed simultaneously. These are the Provinces that are available at the auction this Round.
At the beginning of the New Kingdom, the Provinces cards that were played during the Old Kingdom are shuffled and redistributed equally to players.

Matias wrote:
bidding jump card is way too weak compared to other cards.

Not if used strategically. They are generally best in the final round of each era. Say there's a province that could potentially make someone 20 money. Bid 10 for it, and throw down that card. If someone bids 21, you're lowering their score. If no one outbids you, you can make that profit.

Alternately, you see another player clearly needs that province. Throw a 3 or 6 bid on it and throw down that card to force them to pay 10 or 15 on it.

Very useful card in my opinion.

That card is undoubtably valuable. But I suspect the comment was about the card that allows a rebid in the same province. That one is weaker. It can be useful, especially if people don't consider it when bidding, but uses are rarer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yeah. I couldn't make sense of "bidding jump" when I read it, but that is clearly what they meant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.