Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Washington's War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Removing British PC Marker with a discard - British General in the space rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the Americans discard a Strategy Card, they may remove a British PC marker if;

a) it is adjacent to a friendly PC (para 10.12B) and...
b) it is not occupied by an enemy CU (para 10.12B)

However, the American Player Aid card (version 1.2) says under "Discard Event Card" that in order to remove a British PC it must be;

a) it is adjacent to a friendly PC and...
b) it is not occupied by an enemy CU and/or
c) it is not occupied by a British General

Which one is correct? If a British General is alone in adjacent hex sitting atop a Brit PC maker, can an American discard then remove the Brit PC marker?

Rules para 10.12B says "yes"
Player Aid Card says "no"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Harmony, liberal intercourse with all nations, are recommended by policy, humanity, and interest.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules take precedence over unofficial play aids. Not only do British Generals NOT prevent PC removal by discard, but Congress DOES. This assymetry between Britain and America is not captured by the play aid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Play Aid came in the box from GMT so I wonder how "unofficial" it is.

But nevertheless, rules take precedence over the Play Aid. Thanks. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gordon,

It should be noted that the distinction you made for PC removal does apply for the British, meaning that they can not remove a PC marker from a space that has an American general. The player aid may have been misprinted with the assumption it worked the same way for both sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Gordon,

That's a good catch. Here are few comments that may add a little more info to the discussion:

1) The American Player Aid card that you're referencing, although included in the game box, is not an official player aid. (see #3 below for more on this).

2) The front side GMT's official player aid looks like this (or at least it did when I got my copy of the game in 2011)! You'll note that it correctly outlines the rule, which I added the green arrow to point at.

3) The player aid you're referencing is a superb product created by "Major Sholto", a BGG user. And as I understand things, it was noticed and published by C3i magazine and then subsequently included in the game box as a gesture by GMT.

And you're correct that the Major Sholto aid has an error (a rarity for his products). The aid can be found here, if you haven't already discovered it on your own: Major Sholto's Revolutionary Washington's War Player Aid.
You'll also note that Dave Rubin (who commented above) posted a comment there, to inform everyone of the error. Judging by the time stamp of Dave's post it looks like it may've been spurred by your OP above!

Bottom Line: The rulebook (both rules 6.32 and 10.12) is correct. Hopefully someday, Maj Sholto will get around to uploading an update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.