The Networks» Forums » Variants

Subject: Tips on balancing blank cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have any tips or guidelines on keeping the blank cards balanced when filling them out and adding them to the game? Gil, I'm looking in your direction. I know for sure what the star card will be as far as character goes, but number of viewers and likewise with the shows I'm unsure of how to value you them.

Obviously nothing crazy, but if they end up being too unbalanced then they'll just sit in the box never to go on the air.

I haven't seriously sat down and planned it out yet, but wanted to see what other people's opinions were on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I would do: design the numbers on the card, but write them all out somewhere else first. We'll call it the proxy card. Shuffle the blank card in, and when it comes up, find the proxy card and use that instead.

That way, you can replace the numbers on the proxy card all you want, and once you're happy with how it plays, update the blank card.

As for the actual numbers: Average out the values for the first 3 Seasons, and then add 2 for every Star slot the Show takes. This is the expected Viewer total for the show.

I believe the blank cards are Season 2-3, so that expected Viewer total should be between 8 and 11 in order to fall in line with the other shows. Try to keep Sci-Fi on the higher-end, as those shows tend to be more expensive in the long run.

(For the record, the expected Viewer total for Season 1 is 7-9, and the expected Viewer total for seasons 4-5 is 11-15.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Proxy cards. Great idea. Thanks Gil! I'll keep some 3x5 index cards on hand and jot some values down on them until I'm satisfied. Now to commence with the creativity...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sérgio Alves
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm suprised a thread with some custom examples wasn't already created by someone, where the imagination of our fellow boardgamers could be highlighted

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.