War of Honor» Forums » General

Subject: WoH Expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi I just got this game - looks great and looking forward to playing it. But I see there are more tokens than faction decks. Was there ever a simple deck published for each missing faction I can purchase? Or the expectation was that you would build decks for the remaining factions?

Or is it matter of just picking up a random starter for each of the missing factions:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B21PISU/ref=ox_sc_act_t...

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, WOH I had sitting on shelf waiting for expansions, or heck, any support at all.

It was pretty much left to die on the vine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
www.inkshares.com/books/the-professional-corpse
badge
My Prepping to Publish Happy Dance
mbmbmbmbmb
I never expected much support for it, since, to my understanding, it was a way to have organized multiplayer L5R, which was heavily designed to be a two player game. As such, there were no expansions to War of Honor because it was sort of viewed as an expansion/introduction to L5R. The game was meant to be played with standard Legend of the Five Rings cards. Most any starter you grab should be playable with the game (though it will be more ideally suited for anything from Celestial Edition (2009) onward). With L5R sold to FFG and undergoing a transition into an LCG, you can pick up starters and boosters for the L5R CCG for pretty cheap from Hill's Wholesale Gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks both. Is Gempukku OK (the ones linked above)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
www.inkshares.com/books/the-professional-corpse
badge
My Prepping to Publish Happy Dance
mbmbmbmbmb
I would argue that Gempukku is not only okay, but that it is your best choice. Each Gempukku deck comes with all of the common and uncommon cards for that clan for the bulk of the Emperor legality arc, plus a large number of good holdings, stregegies, items, and followers for that clan. It contains a deck to highlight what that clan is all about, yes, but it's more a basic deck building kit for that clan to really give you some variety as opposed to just having the one deck. It also comes with a set of all five rings, and I think it comes with a random Gempukku booster, which is made up of nothing but the Rares from the early part of the Emperor arc.

In Emperor Edition, each clan had four themes. When you pick up a standard starter, it will give you a take on that theme (so Dragon might be the Togashi monks and their fire tokens, which was the mid arc starter for them). Gempukku might give you a basic monk deck but it will also have cards you need to make a basic kitsuiki dueling deck (1 vs 1 rather than big battles), a basic Mirumoto kensai deck (two weapons), and maybe even a Tamori alchemy deck (defensive magic).

Will picking up boxes of boosters really help turn those decks from basic to great? Yes. But it at least gives you considerably more variety out of the gate than a typical starter will.

EDIT: Hill's is having a sale on Gempukku boosters: 48 boosters of 7 cards each, with every card a rare from an earlier Emperor Edition set.
http://www.wholesalegaming.biz/l5remperoreditiongempukuboost...

You can also get your Gempukku starters cheaper there too. About 8 bucks a clan, or 60 for all nine: http://www.wholesalegaming.biz/l5r/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! Thank for both the clarification and link - saved me a bit of money there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
Canada
flag msg tools
On that same subject, I've had a copy of War of Honor for awhile, and am finally dusting it off to actually play it, and a friend happens to have bought the full array of clan decks for Ivory edition once upon a time. Unfortunately, I was given WoH due to my love of the RPG, rather than any experience with the CCG, and he got the Clan starters on sale for the (very nice) tins they came in, so neither of us actually knows very much about the card game itself.

At a glance, the WoH decks themselves seem very focused on their win condition, while the Ivory ones are more varied. Would anyone have any advice on which of the Ivories (Crab, Crane, Mantis, Spider, Unicorn) might work best in War of Honor out of the box, or which ought be avoided for being over/underpowered? Any tweaks from that limited card pool that might make a couple of them a better fit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.