Hide
8 Posts

Legendary: Civil War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Quick quesion - Divided cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Moromisato
msg tools

I play Vision Through Solid Objects and choose covert and reveal Cloak and Dagger Flee/Fight Covert and Range class and draw it.

Do divided cards count as both sides in your deck similar as if they were in your hand or HQ?

Thanks,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tulis
msg tools
mb
Yes; while in your hand they count as one card with both classes. It's unclear to me whether you'd need to guess one class (since the card uses the singular number) or both (like a multi-class card from secret wars)... i'd guess both, since the single card has two classes. more than happy to be corrected if wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Davis
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Pending further clarification or errata from UD, I'd have to say that they do not.

Divided cards only count as both when they are "in your hand or the HQ." Revealed cards are not yet in your hand until they have been drawn, which in these cases (and many others including Gambit's Card Shark, etc.) are only as an effect of whether they meet the stated condition.

If the intent was otherwise, then perhaps an errata to the effect that:
"While a Divided Card is in your hand, the HQ, or any deck, or revealed from any of these locations, it counts as all its Hero Classes, Teams and Hero Names."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schuette
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me, that the intent of the divided cards was the function similar to multiclass cards while in your hand. This also to me extenze cards like visions finish abilities. The only way is abilities were if you were able to guess the car that you put down there. And since it's as a hero class, you could not guess two. So similar to multiclass cards from secret wars, One class would suffice to drawl that card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
They count as both anytime except when they have been played. No further clarification from Upper Deck is needed, mostly because it is unlikely that any is coming.

Devin Lowe comes from Magic: The Gathering. I think he makes a lot of assumptions in design based on his experience with that game. Things that just "make sense" to him, aren't spelled out by Legendary's rules (since we don't have the 200 page MtG rulebook), so you kind of have to play this game more intuitively rather than by the letter of the law.

I honestly believe that they wrote down "in your hand or the HQ" because they just assumed that covered all the options. Forgetting that cards can care about things in your deck or discard pile. The intent is clear, that "in your hand" means "in your hand or deck."

Strange that this small BGG community has figured out all of these things in a week....any job openings over there at UD?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Lyons
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
runnestrand wrote:
They count as both anytime except when they have been played. No further clarification from Upper Deck is needed, mostly because it is unlikely that any is coming.

Devin Lowe comes from Magic: The Gathering. I think he makes a lot of assumptions in design based on his experience with that game. Things that just "make sense" to him, aren't spelled out by Legendary's rules (since we don't have the 200 page MtG rulebook), so you kind of have to play this game more intuitively rather than by the letter of the law.

I honestly believe that they wrote down "in your hand or the HQ" because they just assumed that covered all the options. Forgetting that cards can care about things in your deck or discard pile. The intent is clear, that "in your hand" means "in your hand or deck."

Strange that this small BGG community has figured out all of these things in a week....any job openings over there at UD?

I agree on this, much like Ascension and Dominion - so often the rules in Legendary clearly shorthand something from Magic: the Gathering without being as verbose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ctulis59 wrote:
Yes; while in your hand they count as one card with both classes. It's unclear to me whether you'd need to guess one class (since the card uses the singular number) or both (like a multi-class card from secret wars)... i'd guess both, since the single card has two classes. more than happy to be corrected if wrong.

Are you saying that for "Through Solid Objects" to work with a dual class card, say any Beast card, you would need to guess Strength and Tech? That doesn't seem right to me, one or the other should suffice since it's both. I would guess just one class. Is there an official ruling that would say otherwise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Per the Secret Wars rulesheet:

Quote:
Multiclass Cards
New to Secret Wars, a Strength/Ranged card counts as both a Strength card and a Ranged card. These cards are great at enabling your Superpower Abilities!

***edit: sorry, I don't have the icons so had to do colored text
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.