Hide
22 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » General

Subject: Yavin. Hoth (and to a lesser extent Dantooine) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Chiddicks
msg tools
Do you find you are more or less likely to use the planets that actually had rebel bases on them in the movies (or in the case of Dantooine didn't, but was used as a decoy) than you are to use other planets?

When I play the rebels I tend to avoid them because they are 'obvious' but then when I am the Empire I do the same, which means they are actually good places for the base for my opponent (in my last game it was on Yavin, which was literally the ONLY planet I hadn't probed or visited at that point!

So what do people think? I think the psychology of using those 3 planets is an interesting (albeit meta-gaming) extra wrinkle to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tarr
United States
Floyds Knobs
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Yavin. Hoth (and to a lesser extent Dantoonine)
I actually like using them. It's fun. I'm not huge on the Star Wars extended universe, so putting the base on (for example) Ryloth isn't NEARLY as fun as sticking it on Yavin or Hoth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
they're so often next to imperial start worlds I don't usually put a base there.

dantooine isn't too bad.

I end up on kessel, ryloth and endor a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a nice piece of design - the "real" sites are naturally attractive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For my two games, I put the base on Ryloth for the first then on Tatooine and Endor...

So I would say no, I just put my base far from imperial space

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tarrkid wrote:
I actually like using them. It's fun. I'm not huge on the Star Wars extended universe, so putting the base on (for example) Ryloth isn't NEARLY as fun as sticking it on Yavin or Hoth.

If it helps put it in perspective, Ryloth is home to the twi'leks (Like Jabba's majordomo and dancing girl) and is hot and horrible. All you need to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Barry
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found Dagobah to be an exceptional base location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric C
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dashz wrote:

Really? I find that the Empire almost always has a fleet or two near that location, because Utapau is such a strong production planet and the Empire is going to want to subjugate it early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Barry
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's close enough to the Empire that they wouldn't suspect you would pick it. Also, the Sullust fleet will almost always pass through Naboo on the way to Utapau, leaving Dagobah relatively unharmed. Production wise there is normally a better choice for the Imperials to move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the only time I have EVER moved to Dagobah as the Empire was when I wanted to build the second Death Star there (it really is a good place for that, being closer to a lot of targets than probably any other remote system).

I suggested Dagobah for PBF004. We ended up going with Endor instead; the Death Star starting in Corellia made it seem too risky. Sadly, that did not go well. I did learn something from that game, though - Moff Jerjerrod has perhaps the best Action card in the game (Proceeding as Planned).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan P.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
The nice thing about Yavin and Hoth isn't so much that they are remote- it's also that there are few bordering systems where the imperials can dump a lot of units on a short notice.

I've succesfully hid until turn 7 on Malastare, but come turn 8, there were a bunch of newly built ISDs, AT-ATs, etc..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dara
msg tools
mb
Dashz wrote:

Another threat to Dagobah is that there is an advantage for the Imperials keeping a carrier and a trooper in range of it just for the moment Luke 'Seeks Yoda'. Then a quick grab with Boba Fett or Darth Vader... Or both if Darth Vader moved the fleet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheV0791 wrote:
Dashz wrote:

Another threat to Dagobah is that there is an advantage for the Imperials keeping a carrier and a trooper in range of it just for the moment Luke 'Seeks Yoda'. Then a quick grab with Boba Fett or Darth Vader... Or both if Darth Vader moved the fleet!

Good one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Barry
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually find the reverse of that. The base being located on Dagobah allows you to seek yoda and if the Imps do come crashing in to capture Luke you have an opportunity to wipe out their (more than likely) minimal forces that they sent to carry out the deed. This protects Luke on a turn that he might not otherwise be protected when doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Giving up the location of the base is a high price to pay for protecting a leader for a turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheV0791 wrote:
Dashz wrote:

ThIs is why I dont go to dagobah with my base, and often leave an imperial unit there if I am the empire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
That's part of the fun, the mindgames in Rebellion.
The "surely the Rebels wouldn't be that stupid" game of whether or not a base is on Hoth goes both ways- and in the end, the Imp player might be forced to land there just to be sure.

One of my favorite games involved me setting up my base on a planet right near Coruscant- I think it was Cato Nemoidia. The Imp player never even thought to look there, and instead wasted her time probing the outer systems in vain while I just sat back and watched the Imperial armies get further and further away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
Daravon wrote:
Dashz wrote:

Really? I find that the Empire almost always has a fleet or two near that location, because Utapau is such a strong production planet and the Empire is going to want to subjugate it early.

The empire is actually (in my opinion) rarely inclined to actually land troops on Dagobah even if they have fleets nearby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First game...

"Dantooine"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
First game...

"Dantooine"...

I feel like every time a player is hit with interrogation droid they have to always list Dantooine as one of the possible locations. Just so they could say it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you do that EVERY time, then if you ever do really have your base on Dantooine, it may not spark any suspicion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:
Windopaene wrote:
First game...

"Dantooine"... :D

I feel like every time a player is hit with interrogation droid they have to always list Dantooine as one of the possible locations. Just so they could say it.

Yup, I did that when I got hit by the Interrogation Droid in our run-out game. It also helps that Dantooine is nicely in the corner and so probably far away for the other systems you'll want to name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.