7 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Post-KALIDASA, are Wanted Crew too risky? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Title pretty much sums it up. I was thinking about this earlier. When the game first came out, Wanted Crew and Moral Crew were both a bit risky to have on your ship. As the game evolved, Moral Crew may have become slightly riskier... but I feel like the introduction of The Operative in KALIDASA makes having Wanted Crew a huge risk. If you're playing with the full board and all supplements, there are a variety of ways in which you can lose them, many of which are beyond your control.

By comparison, the Moral Crew may still have more ways to become Disgruntled, but most of it it, to some extent, under your control. Further, KALIDASA introduces a few circumstances under which have Moral Crew is actually a benefit.

So... Wanted Crew - still worth the risk?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the crew (Jayne and Zoe probably yes, River and Simon together definitely) Just now you are more likely to get the "avoidance" Gear to keep them safe. The Operative doesn't go through the normal safe guards like going EVA and such.
Other wanted crew you might pick up just for a short term to complete a nasty job that pays really well. I then don't worry about them if they get nabbed etc. I at least had their services for a while.
There are times I'll "go broke" on equipment to save Simon and River - A +2 to River and Simon's superior medic check make it worth it in the long run.
If you are playing a short scenario (1st time in captain's chair) or are near the end of a game (1 Goal to go) then I might pass on the wanted crew to concentrate on getting to the finish line.
I think now you think about cost to benefit ration more before hiring them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
Dren608 wrote:

This. For me, it mostly depends on what story we are playing.

I also think this question will be answered differently by different players. George, you seem to be a strategic player most of the time, looking at the long term. (This is purely based on what you have posted in the past and PBF) I - on the other hand - tend to lean towards tactical play. The Strategic player will build up their crew keeping the cost and benefits of the crew in mind. The Tactical player will grab whatever comes their way and then use the crew to the best of its abilities.

Additionally, if I have a wanted crew or two that I want to keep, I will buy some cheap wanted fodder, like bandits, and not pay them. Since the Operative doesn't really care who he takes, the $100 is usually very worth the price to pay to keep your better wanted crew on your ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
There is also the option of picking up a Wanted crewmember that you don't really mind losing (like a Mudder), so if you bump into the Operative, your more valuable Wanted crewmembers are safe (at least for the first encounter)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Krushhhhh wrote:
Dren608 wrote:

This. For me, it mostly depends on what story we are playing.

I also think this question will be answered differently by different players. George, you seem to be a strategic player most of the time, looking at the long term. (This is purely based on what you have posted in the past and PBF) I - on the other hand - tend to lean towards tactical play. The Strategic player will build up their crew keeping the cost and benefits of the crew in mind. The Tactical player will grab whatever comes their way and then use the crew to the best of its abilities.

You are 100% right on my play style. When I play Firefly, I always have my eye on the end game, and with every decision, I'm asking myself "Does this get my closer?"

That, I suppose, what was inspired this thread. For me, when I see a Wanted Crew these days, part of what I see is the needless side-trip I may need to make mid-game to replace them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to look at Wanted Crew as to whether they are an investment worth making in the particular game I'm playing. If they are, and my overall strategy supports it, I try to plan on starting where I can pick up some protection for Wanted Crew from the start of the game. This is a bit pot luck as there is no guarantee the right cards will come up, but if I'm shopping there anyway I may just get lucky.

Before the Operative's Corvette I didn't worry too much as a 1 in 6 chance for the Cruiser are good odds, whereas automatically losing one Wanted Crew to the Operative is not good if I only have one and they are a valuable $300 Crew.

While the best balancing strategy is to have at least one expendable $100 Wanted Crew to protect your valuable Wanted Crew as noted above, this takes up a Crew Space that might be needed. The Artful Dodger is more forgiving with 7 Crew, but Jetwash with 5 Crew and the Interceptor with 4 Crew, this is a luxury that you can't afford. Also both of those Ships only have 2 Ship Upgrade slots so using a Ship Upgrade to protect Wanted Crew many not be economic either to your overall game strategy.

The irony for the Interceptor is that it flies 8 Sectors so has more chance of turning over the 'wrong' Nav Cards that see the Corvette calling to pick off Wanted Crew if it manages to fly on average 6 or more Sectors each Fly Action.

I think for me the Story Card, Ship I have drawn, where I get to start and what is primed at that Supply Deck along with what I turn over on my first Buy Action will generally determine whether I'll take a risk on Wanted Crew these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If I get one wanted crew I screen them by having another wanted crew.

I can't say I've played a Kalidasa-inclusive game where I've lost more than one wanted crew to all sources (piracy, operative and cruiser).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.