Mike Jackson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools

Hi All,

For the benefit of those who may be considering entering the Squad Leader Association of Brisbane tourneys for the first time next year, or for those feeling the urge to get back into it I thought I’d share this ...

Andrew H penned this brief summary of his experience in his first year in the tourneys (he jumped straight into the main tourney). With his permission I share ...

Thanks to all in the SLAB group for welcoming me on-board this year. As a newcomer to ASL this tournament has been a proverbial baptism of fire for me. Every game has taught me a great deal, with new rules either discovered or clarified in every single game. Of the five games played, three were painfully close, but unfortunately luck wasn’t on my side this time around. Some highlights (or lowlights depending on perspective) include:

1. Michael T. - The obvious defensive setup may not be a winning defensive setup. Guile and misdirection, even with a 50/50 chance of success might be a better option!
2. Mike G. - Don’t assume that long range fire can’t break your Italians, as ANYTHING can break your Italians.
3. Jackson - So many mistakes on my part, that I don’t even know where to start! Jax was happy to capitalise on every one, but at least gave me a great rundown on what could have been done better
4. Steve - Only reveal a HIP gun in the last turn if you are ABSOLUTELY sure that you’ve used up all your 6,6 rolls. Also – don’t ever assume you’re safe - an HMG in a bunker obscured behind a smoke column can still be killed by a single mortar shot!
5. Peter J. - Read the VCs properly beforehand! Read them again to be sure, read them again during the game... And also don’t tell the wife that I’ll be home early from an ASL game (as I’d be kidding myself)

Thanks Andrew.

Cheers,

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.