Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar» Forums » Rules

Subject: Like "Rare Special Case", but a little bit different rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thiago Cordeiro
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
Suppose the situation where you have no workers on gears, but even begging for corn you still do not have enough corn to place a worker, because all 0, 1, 2 and 3 spaces of all gears are occupied (difficult, but possible). What should you do?

Realize that it is a bit different from page 11 Rare Special Case:
"At the beginning of your turn, if you have no workers on the gears, then you must place workers. And if you do not have enough corn to place a worker, then you must beg for corn. But if you are already at the bottom step of every temple, then you cannot beg for corn. Do not worry. In this situation, the gods will take pity on you and allow you to place exactly 1 worker. You place the worker on an action space with the lowest possible cost and give all your corn to the bank."

In my situation, at least one of your temple is not at bottom, so you CAN beg for corn.
I think the solution is pratically the same (beg corn normally, place the worker on the lowest possible cost and return all 3 corn to the bank), but I am right to say that it's a situation not officially provided by manual? Or it is somewhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thuc Nguyen-Pham
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i dont think your situation is mentionned in the rules. Two solutions:

1. Apply the rules for the rare special case
2. Use the tribes

cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Clarke
Australia
Kaleen
ACT
flag msg tools
www.unhalfbricking.com
badge
EuroGamer since 1980, & online games retailer since 2003
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are right. I wondered about this when I read the rules initially & decided that it was so rare it could be ignored. I assume the start player space is also occupied.

You have a couple of house rule options, that I can see.
1. You are not allowed to do anything but wait till next round
2. You can repeatedly beg until you have all your temple markers at the bottom or can afford a placement, when you place as cheaply as possible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
With 5 gears + the start player space, that's 21 spots that have to be full. In a 4p game, your opponents have at maximum 18 workers. There's guaranteed to be at least 3 spaces free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tpcordeiro wrote:
Suppose the situation where you have no workers on gears, but even begging for corn you still do not have enough corn to place a worker, because all 0, 1, 2 and 3 spaces of all gears are occupied (difficult, but possible). What should you do?

This is actually impossible with the base game. 21 spots available, 18 opponent workers, there are minimum 3 spots avaible all the time.

With the expansion, it would be possible, because only 3 new spaces are added, which make it possible to have all the 24 spaces taken by 4 opponents having 6 workers each.

In this situation, simply follow the rules. There is no limit of how often you can beg. It just doesn't give you extra corn, so you simply put all your markers at the bottom of temples than place 1 worker then discard the 3 corns you have.

Or just quit the game... you have already lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Cordeiro
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
runtsta wrote:
With 5 gears + the start player space, that's 21 spots that have to be full. In a 4p game, your opponents have at maximum 18 workers. There's guaranteed to be at least 3 spaces free.

Wildhorn wrote:
This is actually impossible with the base game. 21 spots available, 18 opponent workers, there are minimum 3 spots avaible all the time.

Byron and Jonathan,
Yeah, you're right, I didnt make the math, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.