Todd Fast
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my backer copy of Vast and found that the corners of all the player mats were significantly crumpled. In addition, one corner of the Thief mat is moderately delaminating.

How should I feel about this? I'm torn because I'm really excited to finally get my copy, but I'm not happy that my rare copy of this genre-defining game is less than pristine from the manufacturer.

Did anyone else have this problem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be happy to help you replace them. Please contact me at vastthegame@gmail.com and Caryl will help you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Fast
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Patrick. Email sent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garret Wehrman
United States
Garden Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Hello cursor.
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenM wrote:
I'd be happy to help you replace them. Please contact me at vastthegame@gmail.com and Cheryl will help you.

I had this same problem Patrick and sent an email through the contact section of your website and have yet to hear back although I know you are busy. Should I go ahead and send my email to one you listed instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally wouldn't have phased me. It's a boardgame made of paper and the perceived issue is 100% cosmetic. I'd hate to be a publisher and burn margin dealing with these types of complaints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Fast
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly it doesn't affect gameplay, but I paid money to receive a new product that is functionally AND cosmetically defect free. For example, despite being made of paper, I don't expect to buy a new book with torn pages. Sure, it's still readable, but it's not in "new" condition, and I won't consider paying the same price as for a copy that is.

I'd flip your statement around and say I'd hate to be a publisher who paid a huge amount of money to a manufacturing company who then let down my customers and potentially damaged my reputation by shipping products with obvious defects, cosmetic or otherwise. Any manufacturer who values quality and repects that their customers value quality should do a better job of training and QA.

I think Patrick understands that the trust of his customers is important, and I give him a lot of respect (and future business) based on his attitude. Thanks, Patrick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Miller
United States
Logan
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I too have damaged corners on all my player boards. Mine are actually slightly worse than this...

I actually think it happened in shipping. The corner of my box also shows signs of impact.

I am debating making a fuss about it, and kind of leaning on just playing with them as is because it is cosmetic (although I totally understand where you are coming from Todd Fast - especially when you are a backer and you wait for so long!)

But for me personally, I think I will choose to live with it.

However, I wanted to reply to this thread because I want Patrick to know that this is happening, perhaps to others. My copy was not packed in a sensible way: the box was way too big and there was not enough packing materials. So, for future games, I am not sure how but if this can somehow be avoided to reduce future margin loss.

Hopefully playing the game tonight! So excited. Glad to see all the gen con love it is getting! kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Lamb
United Kingdom
Ipswich
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with Brett, my boards are similarly damaged but my guess is it was during shipping, packaged in a massive box stuffed with bits of paper but the game box inside would have had a hell of a time.

I don't want them replaced as they would still have to survive shipping a different time and it doesn't effect enjoyability. Similarly some of my tokens were double punched so thin strips of card were cut off and they are smaller than they are meant to be, and a fair few of the wooden pieces have
imperfections.

The game is great though, the work put in to get all the pieces made and assembled for the amount I backed it for is impressive. I'm happy with the end result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Fast
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from my player boards and a couple of tiny token blemishes everything seems good in my copy, but it appears that this manufacturer is not tip top. I understand given that this is the first release and the expense of manufacturing perfection was not the goal.

Patrick, for future reference, can you tell us which manufacturer you used?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the player boards being damaged like this were caused by the shipper and I am going to start treating it this going forward.

I am not super excited about the damaged cubes and the like either so I am weighing my options during the reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc S
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely seems like shipping could have caused this issue. Here's how my copy was packaged

There's plenty of room for the game to shift around in that otherwise empty box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas -
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Denmark I received my copy packaged like this:

It was perfectly unharmed even though there was technically only padding along two sides of the game (as well as above and below).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine looked the same as the Denmark one (from Happy Shopper) there was a huge gouge in the outer box, but the Vast box sustained no damage.

Knight's board was slightly dinked (looked like the cardboard may not have be bound correctly) - the Dragon sheet had a small nick on the top corner. Trivial damage, all in all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine looked also the same as Tomas'. Unfortunately, the padding was weak enough for the box to get enough acceleration inside the package to bump with a vertex into the side of the box causing moderate damage to the game box. Fortunately, it was below the game components so the boards were not harmed and the cards were just shoved away into the insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.