Subject: Major confusion regarding the "attack" wording rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be overlooking something (and I really haven't got to play BOFA a lot ). So take what I say with a grain of salt.

I think your original interpretation of "attack" was right. So no extra movement for the "attack" part on those cards you listed.

Here's why. Notice that even in the Die description you listed, the word "attack" appears twice. One time as the name of that side of the die. And later

Quote:
Attack: Move one of your armies (with Leadership) to an adjacent region and attack.

I think it's this second meaning of "attack" that appears on the cards. The word "Attack" with a capital "A" is the name of the side of a die. The word "attack" with a lowercase "a" is the name of a certain type of action. There's a good reason why it's spelled with a lowercase "a" on the cards.

The "Attack" face of the die lets you take the "move" and "attack" actions. The cards let you take either the "move" or the "attack" action, or, in some cases, both.

As I said, take this with a grain of salt; I hope others with more experience will chime in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I don't see what one has to do with the other.

Movement rules don't change between movement gained from cards and movement gained from Action Dice.

Edit: also, this is explicitly mentioned on p. 25 of the rulebook, in the "Mountain Passes" box.

Quote:
The connection between a Mountain Pass box and the region it is connected to is "one way": the Mountain Pass cannot be entered, retreated or attacked into, from that region (or any other region on the game board), and is not considered adjacent to it for the purpose of "Fast Movement" or retreat rules.

As I said, I have no idea why my response would imply that you could enter a Mountain Pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I got to ask: Are you really serious with this thread?

If you are:

You are absolutly overthinking this. Just do what the card say: Move one (or two region) and then attack a neighbouring region. There is absolutly no confusion here.

Concerning your mountain pass dilemma, I guess you are refering to this card here:

Quote:
Climbing Goblins
Place two Goblins and one Leadership token in a Shadow Army in a Goblin Mustering Point or Mountain Pass box. Then, you may move or attack with that Army.

Of course this card works. If you are in a mustering point, you can not attack, as it is impossible that there is a valid target. But you can move, as the card says. If you are in a Mountain pass, you may move or attack, just as the card says. And yes, you can attack out of a Mountain pass into a neighbouring space.

Someone else already pointed this out to you:

Don't try to find loopholes everywhere. Don't assume that you can do everything you want because it's not forbidden. Assume you can do what the rules/card say you do and when in doubt, follow the simplest interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike van Veen
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All I see is 3 replies to something. Was the post removed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DreamStorm wrote:
All I see is 3 replies to something. Was the post removed?

yes, seems like it :/

Edit: The post, as I understood it, was about the meaning of the word "attack" on certain cards. Since an Attack die result will let you move and attack, OP suggested the word "attack" on certain cards would allow you to move and attack as well. So cards that had "move and attack" or even "move two regions and attack" would actually grant an extra, additional movement (by virtue of the "attack"). Everybody who posted agreed that "attack" on the cards means just attacking (no extra movement).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.