Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike schmidt
United States
dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is a work in progress. I am still writing the rules but the base idea is for each player to have a set of these cards. Which I will link to once they show up in the files section that will plot on 8.5x11

[filepage=https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/135903/clash-cultures...][/filepage]

I will sleeve each set of 6 in the different player colors.

There are 6 rounds, 3 turns per round, 3 actions per turn. Each action will be simultaneous selection, then played out in order of 1-6 as the numbers on the cards, then by player order if the same action was chosen. Markers will be used to track which units have moved and which cities have been activated each turn that will be cleared at the end of the turn.

My goal is to get the game to the table more often. I love civilization games and this is one of my favorites. I have only play tested this by myself for a few rounds, but it seems like it could work.

I am really open to suggestions and questions here. If you try it out and think of one of the million things that I haven't thought about yet, please let me know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryn Ballard
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought you could perform the same action more than once each turn. Move, Move Settle. Activate City, Activate City, Activate City.

You'd need 18 cards to cover the possibilities.

resolving the cards in a fixed order is not a game I'd want to play - It'd remove too many options for example if I had to always settle before I moved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
yesbryn wrote:
Forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought you could perform the same action more than once each turn. Move, Move Settle. Activate City, Activate City, Activate City.

You'd need 18 cards to cover the possibilities.

resolving the cards in a fixed order is not a game I'd want to play - It'd remove too many options for example if I had to always settle before I moved.

It sounds to me like the suggestion is to take each action at a time. So all choose for action 1. Then actions are taken in the orders given by the numbers on the cards. After all has done their action, cards are taken back and all choose for action 2. So you could still do move, move, settle as your turn. It is just that if anyone has picked "settle", they get to do this before you get to move.

But to the OP - how will you handle free actions? From advances or action cards. Just when it is your time to do your action, you can play action cards and/or use advances? And could you then use all the free actions available to you at once or only 1 each time you take a normal action? Then you also need markers to indicate which advances have been used for the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike schmidt
United States
dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is exactly why I posted this. Great questions.

Yes, action selection would happen each action. To take the settler movement for example it might look like this. Round 2, turn 3, action 1 Red selects move and moves the settler into a forest and 2 infantry into a mountain range, placing markers by both. Round 2, turn 3, action 2. Red chooses move again and moves the settler into a plains area but can't move the infantry because they had moved into the mountains. They will have to wait until the next turn to move again. Round 2, turn 3, action 3 red chooses settle.

At each of those 3 actions, the other players would also choose actions and complete their action in order.

I am sure this will change some of the strategy of the game, but I am excited to see how it does.

As for the free action cards, I like your suggestion of playing when it is your turn to act.

The main idea is to limit down time between each players turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be done, but it's a different game.

Any gain in downtime is lost in AP because a previous players action just changed yours. You no longer get an uninterrupted block of actions to plan in advance.

This will make attacking (already seen as too weak in some quarters) much weaker still, and easy to react to.

Honestly on balance, I think this will be a much worse game, but feel free to try it out...

Jonathan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
First of all, thanks for your efforts. It is always good that people try to innovate and to improve games and discuss it with the comunity.

However I have a question and a comment:

What's the point of the cards? Why should you anounce in advance and simultaneously what you are planning to do? You could just play one action, then next player his action... following the normal round.

I see your point triying to reduce the downtime, but by doing that you will have other negative effects.

First of all, it will be more difficult to plan your turn. You need to have in mind what you are doing now, and what you are going to do in next round, and in the following one. With the vanilla game, even if you are not a master of planification, you could do 3 actions that will make sense in a row. As it has been said, there is a big risk of AP.

Second, you will need to keep track when you will have done 3 rounds in order to control that you are not doing twice all the actions that you can only do once per turn. That's particularly important for the democracy advance that allows you, at the begining of each turn to collect for free in one of your cities. The same for trade routes. It is feasible, but you will loose fluidity, with high risk of mistake.

Third, as noted, it will be almost imposible to launch an attack with some surprise element. You will need a big superiority in order to launch a war (and if you have a big superiority, normally, you are leading, and not very interested to start battles...).

Actually I've proposed a variant to use this system of 1 action per player only for the last turn, in order to reduce the advantage that a player have being the last. But, as said, is limited to the last turn:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1541854/last-turn-variant

Finally, as a detail, in the card, you should change the text of the "advance" card, as you can have the technology not only by paying food, but also ideas and gold.

I hope this is useful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Didn't look at your card text before.

While players often call them technologies, they are "advances" in game terms, so the card should use that.

When doing civic improvements you can do this in as many cities as you like - not only in one city (you write "a city").

Though I have to second the oppinion, that this won't have the effect you like and will have a negative effect on military. Only good thing is shorter time between being your time to act, but you'll get the same amount of downtime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike schmidt
United States
dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good points, that's why I'm posting this.

As to the point of the cards, it is still a work in progress. I've thought about doing more of a roll for the galaxy style thing where everyone takes that actions that are chosen, but if you chose the action you get a small bonus. That will take some more development.

It will definitely change the strategy and it could make it will definitely make it harder for surprise attacks. With the group I play with, that may be a good thing.

Yes, tracking what you're doing will be important, but I've found people forget what they have done on their own turn in their 3 actions sometimes. Putting a cube next to used items may not be a bad thing at all.

Good points about the democracy and trade routes, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

I'll definitely change the text on the cards so it's more consistent.

Definitely useful, thank you Edu!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.