Subject: Unofficial fan made app translation? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Attila Erdei
Hungary
Sopron
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Has anybody experience with app translations? Is it possible to translate some version of the app (steam or android)? (It has nearly zero chance that the app will be translated officially in Hungarian.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
As a developer, I have experience with that. Depends on what is used if it can be done or not. Either way, translations are always hard to do and I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It ultimately depends how FFG have implemented their localisation system.

Assuming they've not simply embedded it into the code gulp or somehow encrypted the text there will likely be a file somewhere (embedded within the app) which stores all the text. Alternatively, there will be separate files for each language. I'd say the quickest way is to locate the relevant language file and replace one of the language you don't want with your chosen language. I'd be surprised if the file wasn't in a format that you'd be able to read.

In both cases (iOS and Android) you're likely to come across signing issues so I'm guessing you'll need a jain broken device to circumvent this issue.

Now, the code may well make assumption (e.g. characters, length of strings, etc.) so you may hit stability issues but I'm sure it'd be pretty straight forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering the app already supports the following languages:

- English
- Spanish
- French
- Italian
- Portuguese
- Polish
- Japanese
- Chinese

I think they probably did their localization correctly. I'm not seeing any obvious resource/data files in the installed folder though, so no clue how one my go about adding a language and translations...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Sinnabell
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
text files are crypted (or packed) in MOM SE, thats different to RTL but also with this files you can nearly do nothing.

The problem is the unity engine - you have to edit not only the text files you have also to edit the pointers and length of each asset file, which holding this information. Also a unity internal checksum over the file length protect this, so if you do something wrong the game will crash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

What's the point of translating the app when all the cards are in English? goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan Tuijp wrote:

You can paste ups. It would be a lot of work but it can be done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Attila Erdei
Hungary
Sopron
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jan Tuijp wrote:

I've translated every card in the first edition. It's a lot of work, but it can be done easily. The app editing looks a lot harder (if it is possible at all).

Thanks for the answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.