Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Agricola» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is there a set of rules that allows us to reduce a 2P game up to 30-45 min? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
We are currently playing with the normal(I think) 2P rules
1) No cards on the left part of the board
2)Occupation, Minor and Major Improvement cards.

Each games takes us up to 1:15-1:30.
Is there some hack that allows me to improve the game or reduce the gameplay?
We can play normal on weekends but on normal days we want a quick fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I can't imagine a 2p game ever going over an hour. Ours usually last 40 minutes or so. If most of the time is coming from AP, I'd either play the family version (unless you have the revised edition which does not come with it) or limit the number to maybe 3 each. Maybe block off the last round as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Halaska
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools

Play Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias M
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really Agricola all creatures big and small is a great and fast game.

Othere than that a normal 2 player game of Agricola should not take more than an hour and can be done in less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes: http://www.boiteajeux.net
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Egg timer? Our games don't usually take an hour, even with occasional AP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Panting
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Yeah with our 2 player games they go pretty quick. Usually the longest part other then setup is the drafting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Storing the game well (e.g., wood in plano containers) makes set up quickly.

If you normally draft, just dealing 7 cards each will save time (or, if you have to draft, draw 10 keep 7).

Other than that, I think it's just a learning curve. As you get more familiar with the cards, you'll be able to tell quicker what the other guy is going for and how to stop him/her. My games break down like this: set up (3 minutes), looking at the cards (3 - 5 minutes), first harvest (5ish minutes), second harvest (no more than 5 minutes but with lots of cursing when the round cards come up badly), third - fifth harvest: for me this is mostly the game and I don't have any suggestions for speeding it up. sixth harvest: 1 - 2 minutes. scoring using the table: 1 - 2 minutes. cleanup: 3 minutes.

No idea if that breakdown helps or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After about 200-300 more plays you'll get to the point where you can just draft cards, then evaluate the guranteed winner based on the best synergy of cards and knowledge of your personal play styles. Then you can just shuffle and deal again. Most of the game can be left in the box, and play time is drastically reduced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony L
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
30 minutes is kind of tough. But with experience 45 minutes is plenty doable. As you play more you don't need to spend time reading every single cards and a lot of actions become second nature.

Have a good storage box that has all the components properly sorted out makes things faster.

Also, divide up the tasks for everyone. For 2p game, something like Player A restocks all the wood/clay/reed/stone, Player B handles everything food related, etc.

Some of the fiddly stuff can be done during the turn. For example, if some one takes 3-Wood, you can preemptively put 3 more wood tokens before start of next round with his worker token still occupying the space. Only do so if everyone is comfortable with these kind of maneuvers though.

If there are certain actions can only be taken by certain player (eg: taking the family growth action when only 1 player has empty room), we usually allow player taking these actions out of order. Again, this might not work for every group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also helpful will be:

No talking, trash- or otherwise. No kibitzing, and no asking for advice. No helping each other in any way shape or form. Absolutely no phones or any other electronic device. No music playing, no TV, no Pokemon Go. No drinking, smoking, eating, or using the bathroom. No pets, ever; in fact, no other humans in the immediate vicinity, particularly children. Never play with anyone who suffers the least bit of AP, nor anyone with any sort of physical impairment whatsoever. No take-backs, even if your opponent hasn't played yet. Chess timers might be a good idea; slaps upside the head if timers aren't available.

You should be able to finish within 20-25 minutes, scoring not included. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
New Zealand
flag msg tools
www.paulandcaillie.com
badge
...um, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I got to a point where we could reliably play 2-player in 45min. Key points to trim time down:
- some efficiency in loading the next round - I line up the resources and animals on the left of the board during any slow point in the game. As soon as a round is over we both place resource - the system ensures two people can place resource in parallel without risk of duplication because all the resources needed for the round are in a neat line.
- know the cards, and draft really fast. You are typically going to only play 3-4 Occs so don;t labour the point on the last few.
- play, a lot. The more familiar you are the faster the game goes. The first rounds anyway are fairly predictable (unless some specific cards are in the mix).
- what they others said. Except the trash-talk - got to trash-talk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Buy ipads. You can easily get a 2p game done in 20 minutes. No setup, no board stocking. It doesnt replace the social enjoyment of a group of people sitting around the table... but for a quick 2p fix, it does the job nicely. If you havent seen the ios implementation, its amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you playing with the K-deck?

Maybe sticking with the basic E-deck will speed up your game? If not, then as already mentioned, play the family game.

Set-up and tear down tend to take alot of time - I recommend organizing your game box with plano boxes. This is a time saver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.