Game of Thrones: The Iron Throne» Forums » General

Subject: Is this really an upgraded version of Cosmic Encounter? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really like that it's a direct adaptation from the TV show so that's why I ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
I don't really like that it's a direct adaptation from the TV show so that's why I ask.

Yes, it's a simplified version of Cosmic Encounter with a few different mechanics. Seems to flow well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:

Interpretations vary, but this is a different game from the same foundation as Cosmic Encounter. A lot of the Cosmic Encounter mechanics carry over, but quite a few things have changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:

I think I don't really understand the question. It's a direct adaptation of Cosmic Encounter, not "the TV show." The art is from the TV show. I'm also not tremendously sure that it's much "simpler." Sure, there aren't all of the different alien powers. However, each player has multiple unique powers to employ because of all their character cards. Also, the lack of the random encounter deck means card play has to be more strategic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doing the quick math, you have 3125 different ways to have 5 player games, which is still a lot of combos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Cooney
United States
Abington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
From what I can tell, it does not require any knowledge of the show to get it, and I don't suspect it would contain any mechanics that would spoil the game.

To me it seems like a sidegrade from Cosmic Encounter. CE is more about mayhem with some light strategy, good for people looking for a good time but nothing too cerebral. This seems to be pushing things into a bit more of a tactical direction, with less randomness and more strategic tools to employ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
About 85% of the mechanics are straight up from Cosmic Encounter, which is fine since its from the same guys that created CE all those years ago in the first place.

The greatly reduced set of powers/special cards/options in this game is going to reduce the amount of chaos and increase the amount of predictability in each game session. I would think this would make people who lean toward eurogames happy.

No two games of CE are ever the same.
Every game of this new version is going to be similar in that each house is always going to have 1 small subset of attack cards and powers to draw from. Once you have seen the 4 or 5 power cards each house has to offer, there are not going to be a lot of surprises showing up in future plays.

That doesn't mean this isn't going to be a fun experience. I think we needed a good CE lite and that is pretty much what we have here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
Sargeras777 wrote:

I think I don't really understand the question. It's a direct adaptation of Cosmic Encounter, not "the TV show." The art is from the TV show. I'm also not tremendously sure that it's much "simpler." Sure, there aren't all of the different alien powers. However, each player has multiple unique powers to employ because of all their character cards. Also, the lack of the random encounter deck means card play has to be more strategic.

I think that the OP is a Cosmic Encounter fan, so he'd be interested in an upgraded version, but he's not a fan of the art direction of this game (direct TV adaptation), so he's hoping that it's not an upgraded version because then he'd have to suffer through the part he doesn't like (direct TV adaptation) to get to something that he'd really like (upgraded game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's actually a huge downgrade components-wise. (From the Fantasy Flight version anyway)

I agree it would have been a lot cooler to have had someone create unique art for the game, but them using the TV art doesn't bother me much personally. I think it works pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.