Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Noob question : Why is this game so expensive? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
Saw an ebay listing, a whoppinh $4,600 for a complete set of this game!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Brandonboards wrote:

Because its beautiful
And amazing

But seriously, $4,600 is way too much for it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
That is scalping, but.
The game is expensive for starters (lot of components and high-detail miniatures).
Other than that, it is in limited supply (currently 10,000 core units around overall, a reprint is announced and should start by the end of the year, but it's currently out of stock).

Expansions and miniatures range is never fully available, but articles are rotated based on availability and other factors only known to the author himself, so it's very difficult to get the hand on a full set.

Development time for new content is GRR-Martin-Book-like, or to make a less mainstream comparison, a Patrick-Rothfuss-Book-like (anyway, big fan here ), so content availability is not easily predictable.

And, maybe last but absolutely not least, the game is very good. Someone said it's nothing like anything else they tried, and well, I can mostly agree with that. Anyway, it's nice to be part of the community.

Oh, and welcome onboard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandonboards wrote:

Because people are willing to pay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Wilhelmi
Germany
Husum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several factors contributing to the price:

- Small publisher

- "low" print runs

- lots of artwork

- expansive custom playing material

and the list goes on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Brandonboards wrote:

Do you KNOW just how expensive it is to make rich, creamy, delicious juice out of the tears of nerds?!

That juice is used to hand-polish every single card in the game before packaging. The boards are made from freshly wilted souls of SJW converts as well, which, while not as difficult to find, are more difficult to process into useable material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely scalper's prices.

Don't buy anything for this game off ebay or you will end up mortgaging your house. Just do a bunch of research first to make sure this is the game for you, but as soon as you know for certain -- stop research (don't spoil any gameplay secrets the game has!), start saving your pennies, and wait for kingdomdeath.com to have it in stock. Then go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because of the experience. This game provides an experience that I have yet to see any other game compare to. Its immersive, flows from phase to phase, and is dripping in theme. I will add the caveat that you need to be bought into said theme (horror/dystopia) to fully appreciate everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't sell my collection for less than 5k, so it doesn't seem that far off to me. I don't understand why people who have a thing are always telling people who don't that they shouldn't have it. It's not like the nay-sayers are offering up their set at cost or offering to loan it out for free.

To answer the OP, the game was expensive to begin with, containing a huge volume of content (I think the core box is like 17lbs). It retailed for $400. Now that it's OOP, there's inflation to that price. I've seen them sell as high as $1200. It's not unusual at all for board games to double or triple in price when they're out of stock, it just so happens that this one is starting at a really high price. Likewise, the expansions range from $50 to $150 each. So it's a lot of money upfront for the expansions.

As to why the boxes themselves started that high, an earlier post nailed it: small publisher + lots of art + lots of dev time.

The game is fantastic and completely worth 10 other games, but that's probably not a controversial opinion in this community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:
I wouldn't sell my collection for less than 5k, so it doesn't seem that far off to me. I don't understand why people who have a thing are always telling people who don't that they shouldn't have it. It's not like they're offering up their set at cost or offering to loan it out for free.

On the other hand, if I were to sell mine, I wouldn't think of selling it for anywhere near 5k.

Ridiculous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
sirgalin wrote:
I wouldn't sell my collection for less than 5k, so it doesn't seem that far off to me. I don't understand why people who have a thing are always telling people who don't that they shouldn't have it. It's not like they're offering up their set at cost or offering to loan it out for free.

On the other hand, if I were to sell mine, I wouldn't think of selling it for anywhere near 5k.

Ridiculous.

Exactly my point. You're neither buying or selling in the marketplace. You're just trying to shame other people and protect the "haves" by keeping out the "have nots".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:
Exactly my point. You're neither buying or selling in the marketplace. You're just trying to shame other people and protect the "haves" by keeping out the "have nots".

Nah, but I do get the feeling that all you "high character BGG regular" types would sell eachother out in a heartbeat.

Over a board game.

Me, I would maybe try to get what I put into it, if I were to sell mine. Maybe. But I guess that's just me.

But by all means, shoe people on over to ebay where you have your items waiting to be bought?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
We haven't seen the ebay listing. If the minis are expertly painted, the price would make more sense. Otherwise, it seems unreasonably high, even if all expansions and Kickstarter addons are included.

As for what we'd sell our personal copy for, well, the minis one assembles and paints have high sentimental value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
sirgalin wrote:

Nah, but I do get the feeling that all you "high character BGG regular" types would sell eachother out in a heartbeat.

"sell eachother out?" In what context? Man, what the hell are you on about? I sense you have some other ax you're trying to grind here.

Quote:
Me, I would maybe try to get what I put into it, if I were to sell mine. Maybe. But I guess that's just me.

Yeah, but you're not. Nor are you participating in the aftermarket in any meaningful way. So your claims mean less than nothing.

Quote:
But by all means, shoe people on over to ebay where you have your items waiting to be bought?

Nope. The people you're talking to use a Geeklist here on BGG to list things they want to buy and sell like reasonable adults. But that doesn't make the people throwing spaghetti at the wall over on ebay wrong for listing stuff at high prices. That's how a collectables market works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Another "high character" fella here to defend his ebay territory. Ok. I get it.

I'm messing with your income.

And I still don't care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:

Another "high character" fella here to defend his ebay territory. Ok. I get it.

I'm messing with your income.

And I still don't care.

Are you talking to me? I don't even own a copy of KD nor do I sell anything on ebay. I just know your brand of nonsense when I see it.

Oh, and please do elaborate on your thesis of "high character types" on BGG. I'd so love to hear your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to be a low character, if that's okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea what "high character" means in this context. I guess...thank you?

I want more people to have and play this game. I want to see more people learning to paint and posting cool color designs of the game. I want the audience for this game to grow. People that shame individuals for their buying choices get in the way of that goal and I make it a point to call them out on their elitism.

Edit: Oh, wait, isn't "high character" a rough translation from αρετή?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
Are you talking to me? I don't even own a copy of KD nor do I sell anything on ebay. I just know your brand of nonsense when I see it.

Oh, and please do elaborate on your thesis of "high character types" on BGG. I'd so love to hear your thoughts.

Well, I mainly meant Sirgalin, and oddly enough, you.

And surprise -- guess who shows up. Johnny on the spot.

But I don't believe that you don't abuse ebay. It's just a hunch ofcourse, but it's a strong one.

Edit: And ofcourse Tumorous shows up. Didn't want to lump him in prematurely, but I suppose it was inevitable..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:

This is where we differ -- I don't pretend to be anything but what I am.

I'm a person with strong opinions on gaming, and I think that this hobby is underachieving in a lot of ways, and I'll damnwell say it.

You guys go around acting like your shit doesn't stink ("what does High Character mean? I guess thank you?"). But in my experience its those kind of people who are the real issue at hand -- whatever problems may be afoot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We should form a gang and call ourselves the Nicomacheans. I'm incredibly pro this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:
We should form a gang and call ourselves the Nicomacheans. I'm incredibly pro this.

Call yourselves: We work for thumbs. I'm incredibly pro this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
grant5 wrote:

I don't believe that you don't abuse ebay. It's just a hunch ofcourse, but it's a strong one.

Really? Why? What do you think you know about me that would make you think that? Now I am just truly curious about the scenarios you've constructed in your head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
tumorous wrote:

This is where we differ -- I don't pretend to be anything but what I am.

I'm a person with strong opinions on gaming, and I think that this hobby is underachieving in a lot of ways, and I'll damnwell say it.

You guys go around acting like your shit doesn't stink ("what does High Character mean? I guess thank you?"). But in my experience its those kind of people who are the real issue at hand -- whatever problems may be afoot.

This is sad. Games shouldn't make you feel bad. Maybe it's time to find a new hobby? Games are awesome, especially KD:M. I highly recommend people buy and play them. BTW, if anyone is interested in KD:M, I run a big, open campaign game as well as demo it for small groups in addition to my various, on going personal campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:

Really? Why? What do you think you know about me that would make you think that? Now I am just truly curious about the scenarios you've constructed in your head.

Honestly I could care less what you're curious about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.