England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've been slow coming to the party for this one but have only just reviewed the contents of the box. It seems that if you own the CE there is considerable overlap of figures and cards with the WoME offering. Of the 'new' 48 figures, 32 already exist in the CE and I assume there will be significant duplication of the 62 cards as well.

It seems if you pay the $45 for WoME you can expand your CE by 16 minis, two dice and an uncertain number of cards. As a result, I'm not feeling the love. I don't suppose there are plans to offer a reduced box for CE owners to avoid the wastage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the decision a long time ago was to split the Battles of the Third Age expansion, into 2 smaller ones, then add a bit to these expansions in order to stand on their own.

The CE consisted mostly of the base game + BotTA, so it's inevitable that CE owners will have duplication.

Hey, at least we had the Treebeard promo before it was cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
Of the 'new' 48 figures, 32 already exist in the CE and I assume there will be significant duplication of the 62 cards as well.

I think that number should be 24. The Eagles, Dead Men of Dunharrow, and Spiders are not in the CE. The Ents, Dunlendings and Corsairs are.

There is not duplication in any of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
tallgrant wrote:
Big Bad Lex wrote:
Of the 'new' 48 figures, 32 already exist in the CE and I assume there will be significant duplication of the 62 cards as well.

I think that number should be 24. The Eagles, Dead Men of Dunharrow, and Spiders are not in the CE. The Ents, Dunlendings and Corsairs are.

Good spot, like the man in orthopaedic shoes....I stand corrected. Still confused about the cards though. I thought they would be the same reference points for the Corsairs, Ents etc. All 62 cards are totally different to the decks supplied in the CE?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for partly sidetracking the thread, wanted to ask: Have they discussed offering a CE version of WoME or painted minis?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
Sorry for partly sidetracking the thread, wanted to ask: Have they discussed offering a CE version of WoME or painted minis?

Thanks

Yesm they will offer a CE version of WoME, right after fulfilling the AE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NasosP wrote:
coralsaw wrote:

Thanks

Yesm they will offer a CE version of WoME, right after fulfilling the AE.

Thanks Naso.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
Still confused about the cards though. I thought they would be the same reference points for the Corsairs, Ents etc. All 62 cards are totally different to the decks supplied in the CE?

They are completely different. The cards are implemented as replacements for the existing Event cards representing the Factions (Ent cards, Eagle cards, etc.) which are not related to the Factions, as well as a separate Faction Event deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
tallgrant wrote:
Big Bad Lex wrote:

Good spot, like the man in orthopaedic shoes....I stand corrected. Still confused about the cards though. I thought they would be the same reference points for the Corsairs, Ents etc. All 62 cards are totally different to the decks supplied in the CE?

I guess you found out about the components from the rulebook pdf. Just read it through; it explains the Factions Deck system.

As far as I now the system, which is tied to the Faction Dice, did not exist in the CE; it is completely new.

P. S. On another note, it seems to me that this expansion may not be Multiplayer-friendly. The extra Die coming from the Elven rings was, for the most part, an extra Action; right here I've got feelings that the two players may just very well be fighting over that single, isolated, sole Faction Die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
P. S. On another note, it seems to me that this expansion may not be Multiplayer-friendly. The extra Die coming from the Elven rings was, for the most part, an extra Action; right here I've got feelings that the two players may just very well be fighting over that single, isolated, sole Faction Die.

The faction die works just like an action die, albeit a bit less powerful. The players would use it (and potentially fight over it) in the same manner as normal action dice, or keeper/minion dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tallgrant wrote:
Sargeras777 wrote:

The faction die works just like an action die, albeit a bit less powerful. The players would use it (and potentially fight over it) in the same manner as normal action dice, or keeper/minion dice.

Hm. Obviously still don't understand a lot of things about the upcoming expansion...is there any special meaning of the icon in the bottom right of the faction cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It just indicates whether it's a Free Peoples Faction or a Shadow Faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Decay
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tallgrant wrote:
Big Bad Lex wrote:

Just looked into the WoME rulebook, the number of missing figures is 26:

WoME:
8x Dead Men of Dunharrow
8x Eagles of the Misty Mountains
8x Ents of Fangorn
8x Corsairs of Umbar
8x Hillmen of Dunland
8x Broods of Shelob

WotR CE:
0x Dead Men of Dunharrow
0x Eagles of the Misty Mountains
8x Ents of Fangorn
6x Corsairs of Umbar
12x Hillmen of Dunland
0x Broods of Shelob

So with CE you would not only missing the Eagles, the Spiders and the Dead Men but also 2 of the Corsairs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Not so fussed about the Corsairs. We've not ever got 6 out so 8 would be very new territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.