Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Introduction

The game provides an excellent and perfectly playable solo variant right out of the box so why am I looking to change it?

One aspect of the multi player game that is not present in the solo game that I really like is the way you're never sure when a revolution card is going to get played. In a given round, you may not get done all you want to do and of course you want to play the revolution card yourself to get back an additional action of your choice. In the solo game you can plan out your actions and take them all before finally playing your revolution card. Consequently there is no effect on getting to technological levels 5 (The Wheel) and 13 (Medicine) that enable you to play 2 and 3 (respectively) cards at once.

Furthermore the number of actions the civbot can play each round is fixed from the start (depending on their individual difficulty level) and they receive no benefit from reaching these technological levels.

Changes

Unless otherwise stated, the rules for the solo game are identical to those provided in the rule book. Two D10 (ten sided dice) are required.

1) All civbots start at chieftain level (and play three cards per round).

a) As they reach level 5 (The Wheel) they will move up to Prince level and play four cards per round (including the current round).

b) As they reach level 13 (Medicine) they will move up to King level and play five cards per round (including the current round).

2) At the beginning of the game, place one of the D10 somewhere on the board face up on 1. This will be used as an action counter.

a) Each time the player plays an action card, if the face up value is 4 or higher, roll the other D10.

i) If it is equal to or lower than the counter die, A revolution has been called for by a civbot and no further actions by the player can be played that round. Then decrement the counter die by 3 points.

ii) If it is higher than than the counter die do nothing.

b) If a revolution was not called for (either because the counter was below 4 or because the other die rolled was higher than the counter) and the player didn't play the revolution card, increment the counter die equal to level of the highest civbot. i.e. when all civbots are chieftain level, increment = 1. When at least 1 civbot is at prince level, increment = 2, etc.

c) If a revolution was not called for and the player played a revolution card, decrement the counter die by 2 points.

Impact on the solo game

1) The solo player can now longer be sure of playing the revolution card themselves and rely on getting that extra card back, nor can they be sure on the number of actions they can play in a given round.

2) The chance of a civbot calling for a revolution will increase as the round goes on. If it goes on a for quite a while, the chance of an early revolution in the next round is more likely.

3) Progress on the technological track is now far more important for both the human and civbots.

4) There is no no way to vary the difficulty of the game.

I have only play tested this variant once but I shall report back with any tweaks or improvements I think need to be made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant! This is such a good idea.

I'm a big fan of the game and usually play solo, yet I can see how your variant does some nice refining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks.

I need to play test this a few more times at least, mainly to check it doesn't become imbalanced in some way, especially later on in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
Thanks.

I need to play test this a few more times at least, mainly to check it doesn't become imbalanced in some way, especially later on in the game.

Agreed. I just recently played Historia, so I probably won't get back around to it for a while.

Let us know how you fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just played another game and I thought it worked really well. I came second; one of the civbots was just one step ahead of me the whole time and ran away with it at the end...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
A couple more play throughs; it's really tough, tougher I would say than playing a regular game with all civ-bots on prince level.

Just managed to win my last game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAMBITO
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant variant

I love it

I thought to set the bots in places with the lower points to reduce tdiffivulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.