Subject: My third game of Scythe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my third game of Scythe at our hebdomadal game night last Monday. I did not take notes, so some details are going to be missing.

It was the first game I won, the first game where the winner had six stars, and the first game not won by red.

For the two others this was their second game, having played in the five player game that was my second. We were white, blue, and yours truely as yellow.

I am a bit surprised that I won, since I ended up playing against my player mat. I had number two. I planned from the start to upgrade the build action until I could build for one wood, and then rake in those three money and one popularity. I never got around to it. There was always things that needed doing first. Besides, I did not have access to oil or wood at the start.

I got five workers total on the board as soon as possible, which caused me to lag a bit behind in power. The other two each placed their first star on consecutive turns, for having 16 power. I was a bit worried that one might attack me, so that I would never get to 16. But I decided to stick to my plan, which was to place two stars on the turn after their next. These were the objective that requires a worker on each of the five types of production territory, and four enlistments. I then hurried to buy up my power to 16.

My fourth star came as a surprise to all of us. I made the mistake of thinking that since we all had played before, we all knew the rules well. I had no combat cards, and white thought that that meant that it would be safe to attack me. When I deployed my scout mech, in hindsight I should not just have said "scout", but explained what it did. So it surprised him when I told him that I got to draw a card. This was a four. He had many cards, so I figured that he was very likely to have another four or a five. I therefore gave up the fight and bid a single power (to get another card) and no cards. White played zero power and no cards. He did this because he had no five, and he thought that the defender would win a tie. We did give each player the two player aid cards, but we did not discuss what is on them. Another time I will recommend that every player read the summary of combat the first time he considers combat. This mistake cost white two stars, he said. I assume the other would have been an objective.

I soon got my fifth star for four mechs, and closed the game next turn by winning a combat. By then I had several cards, and one was a five, so I was sure to win a one on one fight.

I ended with 72 points to white's 49 and blue's thirtysome.

What is wierd is that I won by executing the most expensive and least lucrative bottom actions. I made two buildings and four upgrades. Those mechs are just so useful. Riverwalk to get at the oil and wood, speed to move around and scout to deter attackers (or so I thought). Wayfare, which I had planned on building first, I ended up building for the star, and never using.

One interesting dilemma I got into is this: I have a worker on a village and one on a farm. I don't intend to produce on either ever again. But if I move them out, I don't get points for those territories. I ended up leaving them there. Had the game lasted longer, I could have buildt there.

I have now played Scythe with four, with five and with three playes. I find that it plays well in all three cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report! It's nice to see someone report winning against what their player board "forced" them to do. Sure there was the combat rules mistake that cost white, but still, you may have won had that not happened.

Some people say you are forced to play a certain way based on your faction and player board, but from what I've seen and read, people can and have won in many different ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Taranto
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looove this about Scythe!! It's amazing how the plans you make can change over the course of the game. Keeps it interesting, for sure. Sounds like a fun one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Henning
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If white had a 4 or 5 in hand wouldnt it have made sense to let him pay 7 power and take back the mistake? Maybe Im too forgiving with my takebacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nickismyname wrote:
If white had a 4 or 5 in hand wouldnt it have made sense to let him pay 7 power and take back the mistake?

Yes, I think we should have done this. He knew all I had was a four, and he had one too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
Some people say you are forced to play a certain way based on your faction and player board, but from what I've seen and read, people can and have won in many different ways.

Tell that to some of the nay-sayers. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.