Vast: The Crystal Caverns» Forums » General

Subject: Goblin Objective and second print run rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Nguyen
United States
California
flag msg tools
I preordered this game and am impatiently waiting for it to arrive.

1. I noticed in the second print run, there will be some changes to the components. Could you elaborate on this? From what I read when browsing, the stand clips would be changed to clear. There wouldn't be any changes that make my copy much inferior in anyway would it?

2. Also the goblins win condition is the same as the knight except for the first one which is to kill the knight. But from the intro video posted I believe Patrick says "The goblin wins if the knight win, since they are trying to defend their home from the knight". So whats to stop the goblins and the knights to just team up and sharing a joint victory? Is there any incentive besides wanting a solo victory?

3.And I'm guessing when any character finishes their objective, the game instantly finishes? Correct me if i'm mistaken, but there's still a little plot hole for me. Even if the knight is dead the dragon still has the objective of escaping the cave so really the knight being dead if irrelevant for the dragon's objective. I understand, that the first to finish the objective wins, but story wise/thematically it doesn't make sense for the other characters to just give up and die in a sense. Also it feels like thematically, the goblins get the short end of the stick. They have to defend their home from a knight, rampaging dragon, voodoo cave, and a dirty thief. Again, i understand the game ends when one objective is finished, but it seems that thematically, the goblins would have a lot more work to do. (I've looked over the play mat, files, etc... And i haven't found any conclusion to what happens after an objective is filled in terms with the other characters, unless i missed something). Anyways just some of my thoughts for this last part, but the other two questions above area really the answers im looking for. But if anyone can care to elaborate on point 3 i'll be happy to hear it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Scaggs

Indianapolis
Indiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've seen, it's the first person to complete their objective wins. You can play out the rest of the game for the other players if you want to figure out the second, third place finishes so long as the cave isn't the winner.

Knight: Kill the Dragon (break crystals if no dragon)
Goblins: Kill the Knight (break crystals if no knight)
Dragon: Wake up and escape the cave
Thief: Steal loot and escape the cave
Cave: Collapse the cave on the players and kill them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Codarin
Italy
Udine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the alternate win condition applies only if their respective enemies aren't in play:

so if you do goblin vs kinght vs cave (no dragon) - the knight wins by smashing crystals and THEN escaping but the goblin STILL only win ONLY by killing the knight

if you do knight vs dragon vs goblin (no cave) - the knight wins by killing the dragon, the goblin wins by killing the knight, the dragon wants to awake and escape.

Only one person wins every match because as soon as you accomplish your objective the game ends!

all the other stuff (variant cards, difficulty cards etc.) are there to offset the verious combinations and to give handicaps to more experienced player when they play with less experienced players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mb
Rollandtwo wrote:
3.And I'm guessing when any character finishes their objective, the game instantly finishes? Correct me if i'm mistaken, but there's still a little plot hole for me. Even if the knight is dead the dragon still has the objective of escaping the cave so really the knight being dead if irrelevant for the dragon's objective. I understand, that the first to finish the objective wins, but story wise/thematically it doesn't make sense for the other characters to just give up and die in a sense. Also it feels like thematically, the goblins get the short end of the stick. They have to defend their home from a knight, rampaging dragon, voodoo cave, and a dirty thief. Again, i understand the game ends when one objective is finished, but it seems that thematically, the goblins would have a lot more work to do. (I've looked over the play mat, files, etc... And i haven't found any conclusion to what happens after an objective is filled in terms with the other characters, unless i missed something). Anyways just some of my thoughts for this last part, but the other two questions above area really the answers im looking for. But if anyone can care to elaborate on point 3 i'll be happy to hear it!
By design/intention, the game ends as soon as someone completes their goal. That often does happen with a few other players being within one or two turns of completing their goals as well, so you're more than welcome to keep playing after someone wins to see where everyone else finishes, or at least to see who else can complete their goal before the cave collapses.

Thematically, one way to look at it is that as soon as someone completes their goal, they either run away or simply don't care what happens to any of the others. If the Knight dies, the Goblins are happy to have protected their home and are unconcerned with whatever the rampaging dragon does to anyone on the outside. If the Dragon is killed the Knight may still escape or get eaten by Goblins, but either way the outside world is safe. The Dragon and Thief just want out, and couldn't care less what happens to anyone else. The Cave just keeps doing what caves do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cochran
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rollandtwo wrote:

2. Also the goblins win condition is the same as the knight except for the first one which is to kill the knight. But from the intro video posted I believe Patrick says "The goblin wins if the knight win, since they are trying to defend their home from the knight". So whats to stop the goblins and the knights to just team up and sharing a joint victory? Is there any incentive besides wanting a solo victory?

I heard this in the video as well and just assumed it was a slip of the tongue. I think he meant to say "The goblin wins if the knight DIES" (not "wins").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.