Subject: Base game playable with 5+ ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blue Hammer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all.

I'm really on the fence about backing Vampire Hunters. The theme and the co-op element are really appealing, as are the minis. However it is a big chunk of cash to part with.

A major part of my dilemma is the number of players. Ideally I would probably need this to play with 5 or 6 players...which the expansion lets you do. But that's even more money.

However, with all of the additional characters and extra vampires from the stretch goals, there seems to be enough components to make the KS version of the base game work with 5 or 6 players. However I realise that a major part of the expansion are the new encounter tokens which adjust the difficulty to suit more players.

Therefore I'm wondering if anybody knows how well the base game would play if you simply add extra characters? I'm guessing it will become easier, which could be fixed with a little house ruling, but would there be any other issues?

P.S. I'm not trying to poo-poo the expansion. The new monster type, extra tiles, higher player count and additional campaign certainly make it value for money. It's purely a financial issue for myself, and the KS version of the game seems to offer a possible work around for us cash-strapped gaming addicts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except becoming a lot easier I see no issues with playing the base game with 5+ players.

Perhaps you should add about 20-30% more encounter tokens to a hunt.

spread the additional encounter tokens evenly between first and second half of the den, so you equally strengthen the enemies at day- AND night-phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Hammer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just going to spawn extra greens/oranges, but that's a pretty simple and elegant solution Carraway.

On the other-hand, you have just convinced me to back yet another kickstarter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also keep in mind that you can pledge for the base game right now and 1 or 2 months down the line when the pledge manager comes out add the 5-6 player expansion thus spreading the payments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.